cost of gas fireplace installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jessicajonescurtis

May 2, 2020
Chapel Hill, NC
I am interested in having a direct vent gas insert installed in my home. We do not have an existing chimney, so we would be starting from scratch (including having a gas line installed and a modest brick surround and mantel). We recently received a quote for $10,000 +

Does this sound right? When I read about gas fireplace installation costs online, $10,000 seems to be at the upper level. I was hoping it would cost no more than $5,000 at the most, but am worried that I am totally off. Anyone have any input? Thanks!

It should take a two man crew about 4 hours to install a gas fireplace, gas line,
electrical hook-up, venting, mantle & stone facing included.
If the overhead for that crew is $250 then that'll be $1K
The cost of the unit itself is just that. ($3-$4K) They need to have fronts added.($200 - $1K)
You'll need venting. Horizontal will be $250, vertical more.
There is the cost for the mantle($400 - $1K).
The stone will be another cost ($500 to $700, maybe more)
A $10K install is HIGH, but not out of the question.
If YOU do what work you are capable of, the price will be lower.

Thank you so much for your reply! I have had a really difficult time getting estimates, as there are not many people who install gas fireplaces in my area (2-3 at most). So it sounds like $5000 was way off! Do you think it would be reasonable to hire someone to do it for $7000? What do you think is more easily done by yourself? Unfortunately my husband and I are very inept when it comes to construction and I would want to make sure that the fireplace is very safe of course. We do have a very well trusted handyman though that could likely do the surround and mantel if that would be cheaper. Thanks again for your help!

However it gets done, make sure it's inspected & approved. A gas fireplace will heat the room
where if it's PROPERLY installed (& maybe more rooms as well) & will also give you nice fire to view.
If it's IMPROPERLY installed, it can be deadly. A Licensed plumber can install gas line, & a good
handyman can install stone & a mantel, but I would leave the fireplace & venting install to an NFI
Certified gas technician...