Cost of installing a new pellet stove liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dayk995

Dec 17, 2014
Vermont
We had a company company inspect our chimney and liner. They mentioned the liner needed to be replaced.

My questions are:
1) How much should a new liner cost with installation (a rough estimate)? I believe the liner is 4 inches in diameter and about 25 feet tall. I see whole kits going for around $200-$500+ -- I'm just looking for a rough estimate so I don't get screwed.

2) How long would a newly installed pellet stove liner last for?

3) What type of service is required to maintain the liner? Would I need to get it inspected/cleaned/swept every year?

Thanks

How old is the liner? I've never heard of a stainless liner just wearing out.

My whole vent, which is up, then into a masonry chimney, then up some more was about $1100 installed. All ICC components, 4", insulated. Total rise about 15 feet. Most quotes I got were anywhere from $1100-1300.

A number of component vendors offer a lifetime guarantee to the original purchaser. Unless the vent is cleaned with a metal masonry brush, it's not likely to take any damage or just erode.

Maybe get a second opinion before ponying up for a new liner.

sound's like there ripping you off, like most chimney sweep's, I had my chimney sweeped and they installed my new liner in 2008, it was like $275, I bought the liner kit online for like $300, they also said i needed new flashing around my chimney, my house just had a new roof few month's earlier and they saw what was left of the old lead liner and told me you must have water pouring into your house...ok buddy

I'm not sure exactly how old the liner is. We bought the house last year and it was inspected. One company said it needed to be replaced and another said it was fine. Now we're being told it needs to be replaced (again). We ran the stove all winter last year going on the word from the company who said it didn't need to be replaced (my first year using pellets or any type of stove for that matter).

So this year, we hired a company to do a chimney sweep and also an inspection. They mentioned it needed to be replaced. I'm waiting to hear back with more details and how much it might cost. So I'm starting to be convinced that it needs to be replaced but I don't know much about what kind of shape it's in. I'll find out more.

I'm still pretty new to all of this. Last year I just fed it pellets and cleaned it occasionally without really knowing much about the chimney or exactly how it all works.

When you get multiple companies telling you a rather important safety device needs to be replaced, I would pay attention. Ask what is wrong with the old liner. Are there rips, is it worn, or perhaps it is too short and was never installed properly/safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.