Costco now selling DIY mini splits.

Brian26

Feeling the Heat
Sep 20, 2013
Branford, CT
I have spent significant time cross referencing units and most of them are all either made by Midea or Gree. The cheaper $600-800 units are usually not hyper heat and have significantly lower cooling and heating performance. A hyper heat unit with a vapor injection compressor will usually run around $900-1400. My $1300 Gree has an insane SEER rating of 30.5 and HSPF of 14.

I have a 12k Midea floor console and 12k Gree Sapphire that has been heating and cooling my entire house all year. They cost me nothing to run as I use net metered solar but here is the electrical consumption this year on both units. Jan and Feb they used around 500 kwhs and this month in cooling they only used 70 kwhs! It's been crazy hot here as well.

You can see on my data the lower floor unit carries most of the heating load in the winter. In the summer the upstairs unit carries most of the cooling load.

As far as cold weather heating performance the Gree claims 90 percent capacity at -22 and the Midea 78 percent. I am on the shoreline so its mild here in the winter but did experience some single digit temperatures this past winter. Both units weren't even running close to full load and were pumping out 120+ degree heat. Watching the electrical consumption during mild weather its eye opening how efficient and little power these units use.

Screenshot_20200625-061948_Monitor.jpg

Last edited:

Seasoned Oak

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Eastern Central PA
Wait,... you've found a mini-split for that price? Does that include the tubing and electric cable?

I was looking at a 12k btu (1 ton) no-name (Pioneer) pickup at Home Depot, and it listed a minimum operating outside temp of +5 degF, for about $950. Got a source for your's?
Yes 15 ft line kit was included but i assume thats the whole sale price or what installers pay for the equipment. Of course your installer will add a price premium as is normal. You wont find that price at Home Depot although if your buying the Gree Brand , Home Depot price is closer to the wholesale price. The problem you will have if installing yourself is the warranty ,plus you do need some equipment ,vacuum pump and guages. My installer tells me that he can get any brand from his supplier but the units he uses have all been performing flawless so as of yet has no reason to switch to the more expensive brands. First impression:These things are amazingly quiet.

Last edited:

Brian26

Feeling the Heat
Sep 20, 2013
Branford, CT
This is interesting. Mr Cool has a new drop in whole house inverter central unit now for $2859. The specs claim 100 percent heating capacity at -5 and 78 percent at -22. It's made by Midea. There is a video of an install and it heating a house at -24 temps in North Dakota.
  • Exceeds Conventional Heat Pump Performance Ranges
  • Unparalleled Heating: 100% at -5°F outside temp*
  • 78% Heating Capacity at -22°F outside temp*
  • Enhanced Cooling: 100% at 115°F outside temp*
  • 78% Cooling Capacity at 130°F outside temp*

uni-combo.png

semipro

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2009
SW Virginia
This is interesting. Mr Cool has a new drop in whole house inverter central unit now for $2859. The specs claim 100 percent heating capacity at -5 and 78 percent at -22. It's made by Midea. There is a video of an install and it heating a house at -24 temps in North Dakota.
  • Exceeds Conventional Heat Pump Performance Ranges
  • Unparalleled Heating: 100% at -5°F outside temp*
  • 78% Heating Capacity at -22°F outside temp*
  • Enhanced Cooling: 100% at 115°F outside temp*
  • 78% Cooling Capacity at 130°F outside temp*

This is the unit I referenced in my earlier post. I've ordered one from IWAE.com. While the reviews seem good, I have noticed that certain features like dehumidification mode and configurable air handler fan speeds aren't advertised for this system. It will, however, work with most standard thermostats and reputedly is very quiet. Their line system is also interesting as it comes pre-charged with coolant so specialized AC tools are not required (e.g., vacuum pump, gauges, etc.).

CaptSpiff

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2014
Long Island, NY
Thanks Oak. I'll be looking for that end of summer review, and the end of next winter as the main difference is likely the performance at below 10 degF.

As to that "MrCool" above, I'm impressed that it can be wall mounted with so little space between wall & back of unit. I though most of the airflow in is thru backside, thereby needing a 12 inches of air space. I guess I've got a lot to learn.

Seasoned Oak

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Eastern Central PA
Thanks Oak. I'll be looking for that end of summer review, and the end of next winter as the main difference is likely the performance at below 10 degF.
I doubt ill be using it below 20 degrees. It rarely goes below Zero here and either the Wood stove, Coal Boiler or oil boiler will likely be doing the heavy lifting at that point. I may just to see how it works at low temps but 12000 BTUS will hardly make a dent in a 3000 Sq.ft not so greatly insulated 100 yr old 3 story house. I usually need closer to 80000 Btus continuously when its very cold. In summer 8k each on 2nd and 3rd floor manages quite well for cooling. 1st floor is mostly underground so doesnt need hardly any cooling.

Last edited:
Reactions: vinny11950

Seasoned Oak

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Eastern Central PA
Just let it reduce your wood/coal consumption. Let them work together.
It will,for the entire shoulder season which is the lions share of the year. Its such a pain starting a wood fire or a coal stoker fire just to take a few degrees of chill out of the house starting on cold nights in september. For reference i usually spend less than $50 all summer for AC but anywhere from $600 to $900 a season for heat when using oil or coal,if i dont run the wood stove much. So the heat function will get more use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Highbeam

maple1

Minister of Fire
Sep 15, 2011
Nova Scotia
It will,for the entire shoulder season which is the lions share of the year. Its such a pain starting a wood fire or a coal stoker fire just to take a few degrees of chill out of the house starting on cold nights in september. For reference i usually spend less than $50 all summer for AC but anywhere from $600 to $900 a season for heat when using oil or coal,if i dont run the wood stove much. So the heat function will get more use.
Darn right. Shoulder seasons can eat a pile of fuel, slowly but steadily. All those cold starts. And the hassle of it. Our 2 splits can cover everything pretty darn good, except for maybe 2-3 coldest winter months. Which they still do OK in, but running cost goes up. That's when burning steady kicks in.

But this near zero cost a/c and dehumidifying thing in the summer is a big added bonus here. Wasn't really on our radar before, but now that we have it, oh yeah. :)

lsucet

Minister of Fire
May 14, 2015
San Ysidro, New Mexico
Last year I installed a system of four indoor units. I bought it from Alpine Home Air, it is a Blueridge brand. Yes, it is Chinese. It is working like a champ. I contacted many contractors in n the pass to install a good brand system and the answer I got from them was that they do not service my area. Those they do, have the schedule full for months. I went online and got this system. Installed it myself. Yes, I bought some tool including a micron gauge. (Manifold gauges don't tell you the truth). I vacuumed the lines set, put nitrogen overnight. Vacuum down in the 200 microns and it hold there fine. Open the valves and lets enjoy some cooling and heating. I did buy a HVAC scale, always keep a cylinder of r410a refrigerant in case I need to do any repair. I called tech support and tell them that I am refrigerant ASE certified and I know how work on it and they told me no problem. I explained to them the situation to get a technician here in case something happens and they told me it is okay, we will deal with it. I contacted them for an issue I had with two rooms getting too hot and overshooting the set point and they guide me to pull some information out of the outdoor unit. They send me a PDF file with part of the engineer manual and what I need to change in the settings. The problem was not the system, is those rooms are small and the +/- set points needs to be changed on those two indoor units.
Sometime we need to go with what is practical and available to us. Those high end brands, not even want to give support to the consumers. You have to go through a contractor and wait and see when he wants to get his butt over here. And at the end when warranty is over, I will have to deal with big expenses if something happens and I need someone to come. In town they not even want to sell you a cylinder of 410a refrigerant. They said you need a license. Well, you can get all what you want on Amazon or eBay, free shipping and cheaper. Durability wise, I can't tell but it is working great and tech support have been helpful when I need them. Do it myself was and is the best choice for me.

sportbikerider78

Minister of Fire
Jun 23, 2014
Saratoga, NY
Wait,... you've found a mini-split for that price? Does that include the tubing and electric cable?

I was looking at a 12k btu (1 ton) no-name (Pioneer) pickup at Home Depot, and it listed a minimum operating outside temp of +5 degF, for about $950. Got a source for your's?
When I did my install, what cable to use was very confusing if you look at kits on line. Some of them were very expensive for a short run. I was doing about 90' of runs, so it really mattered to me. I called Mitsubishi, they said "normal 3 wire indoor Romex".
I even called back the next day to talk to a different tech...same answer.

Good enough for me.

Reactions: CaptSpiff

hockeypuck

Feeling the Heat
Sep 6, 2009
south central NH
Are you still happy with this unit? I'm considering replacing my 2 older ducted central units with two Mr. Cool Universal systems.

I'd be willing to pay more for better quality but the price of the Mitsubishis and Daikens seem to be much unreasonably higher.
Sorry I am late on the reply. I would do it again. I am only in my second year but I was only $2000 (all materials) for a 24k bty unit. It is quiet inside and out. Heats well down to 25 F, but I have wood insert and pellet stove so that does not matter. It works great to take the chill out of the air in the heating shoulder season. I did the electrical work myself, licensed electrician. I could not see spending 5 to 7k on a unit I could install in 4 hours myself.

hockeypuck

Feeling the Heat
Sep 6, 2009
south central NH
Sorry I am late on the reply. I would do it again. I am only in my second year but I was only $2000 (all materials) for a 24k bty unit. It is quiet inside and out. Heats well down to 25 F, but I have wood insert and pellet stove so that does not matter. It works great to take the chill out of the air in the heating shoulder season. I did the electrical work myself, licensed electrician. I could not see spending 5 to 7k on a unit I could install in 4 hours myself.
This is the exact unit.

Reactions: semipro