Costly Majestic M36AO Fireplace Repair?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoulderHouse

Nov 16, 2015
Oklahoma
Crack.JPG Overall.JPG
We purchased a house earlier this year that was built in about 1984 with the above mentioned "kit."
We had a chimney sweep come out today and it was pointed out to me that the hearth slat had a crack in it.
The crack goes all the way through the slat.
It was recommended that the panels be replaced due to warping as well as the "concrete hearth panel," to the tune of about $900.00
This seems like a rather major fix and I'm not sure if the metal panels really are in need of replacing.
I feel that just the hearth could be replaced and it be operated safely.
The fireplace is raised with a hollow area beneath it and the bottom "hearth" panel is a trapezoid shape, no longer manufactured by Majestic.
I wasn't sure if I could just mend the crack or if I had to replace the panel.
It appears that by removing a metal strip at the front of the fireplace that the panel could be slid out and replaced if I was to have one cut for me.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.