Cottonwood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msjones2452

Feb 23, 2015
Denver CO
So there is an add on CL that looks like it would be around 2 cords of cottonweed for free. No one will touch it. Is it worth the labor for those not so cold day's that you just want to take the edge off? I've burned it before in an open fireplace, not a lot of heat and can smell pretty bad but it is free. I like free!

Depending on how much higher-grade wood was available to me, I might take it. Where I live, I wouldn't mess with it. Tulip is about the lowest grade I will bother with, and I have some on the property so I won't go off-site to get it. Actually, I don't think Cottonwood is as good as Ponderosa Pine, heat-wise.

My brother is fond of saying it doesn't even make good ashes...

I don't know what's available in your area, but here in the Midwest, we don't bother with Cottonwood. There's just some much better wood that is readily available.

I won't mess with any of the wetland crap trees. Cottonwood, Sycamore, Poplar, Willow, Box Elder, etc are not worth it to me. Elm, Hackberry, and Silver Maple are the lowest BTU wood I will work for.

If you need it go for it. If nothing else grab it to mix in with some not quite prime hardwoods. It will make the average mc in the firebox lower (if dried good of course). I use it for shoulder wood myself and save the prime woods for the heart of winter. When the sun pops out I get quite a bit of solar gain but hate to start new fires every night. A few chunks of cottonwood or boxelder keeps the coals going until a night load.

Well out here on the high plains there is not a lot of hardwood around. I used a cord of cottonwood so far this winter along with some lodge pole pine. 2 woods those guys in the Midwest and east will not touch.
If I can get free cottonwood I take all I can get. I have another 3 cord of it right now seasoned and ready to go.
It just depends on where you live.

I am only about 100 miles north of the OP.

If cottonwood is seasoned properly is does not smell when burned.

Honestly, I wouldn't even consider it if it wasn't close, free and already cut into 16" - 18" logs. The wood is only about 10 mins from the house. I have access to quite a bit of beetle kill pine but it's quite a bit further and it's still standing. I'll be getting probably 2 - 3 cords of that w/in the month. I also have access to hardwood but it's not free. On average a cord of mixed hardwoods (maple, walnut, locust, oak) here is around $300. Right now, I really don't have anything. We have a lot more mild day's than really cold ones. I know the pine is great for mild/moderately cold temps. A guy I work with heats his place almost entirely with it only supplementing w/boiler on really cold snaps.

My biggest issue is room. I only have enough for a max of about 7 cord. Considering I'm already behind the 8-ball wood wise, I was thinking maybe it (even mixed w/pine) might get me through the milder temps so that I don't have to use up the hardwoods.

Honestly, I wouldn't even consider it if it wasn't close, free and already cut into 16" - 18" logs. The wood is only about 10 mins from the house. I have access to quite a bit of beetle kill pine but it's quite a bit further and it's still standing. I'll be getting probably 2 - 3 cords of that w/in the month. I also have access to hardwood but it's not free. On average a cord of mixed hardwoods (maple, walnut, locust, oak) here is around $300. Right now, I really don't have anything. We have a lot more mild day's than really cold ones. I know the pine is great for mild/moderately cold temps. A guy I work with heats his place almost entirely with it only supplementing w/boiler on really cold snaps.

My biggest issue is room. I only have enough for a max of about 7 cord. Considering I'm already behind the 8-ball wood wise, I was thinking maybe it (even mixed w/pine) might get me through the milder temps so that I don't have to use up the hardwoods.
Sounds like a good plan to me, but like other wood if it is green it does need to season for awhile before you use it.

Given your situation, I think cottonwood would work fine. I'm in the NE and find it not worth the effort considering the vast amount of quality hardwoods available. Hell, it was 60 degrees outside today and I still did a night burn with Black Locust and Elm.

Sounds like a good plan to me, but like other wood if it is green it does need to season for awhile before you use it.

That's one of the things I'm wrestling with, it's going to take time and valuable real estate. With my limited space, I don't know if I should sacrifice the room for such a low btu wood or bite the bullet and just fill up with hardwoods that'll take longer to season.

I'm in the NE and find it not worth the effort considering the vast amount of quality hardwoods available. Hell, it was 60 degrees outside today and I still did a night burn with Black Locust and Elm.

That would be a nice problem to have!==c Most hardwoods from around here come from city cuts so it's a little pricey and not nearly as abundant as the cotton or pine. On another note though, I did just score on a truckload of elm the other day. It's a fresh cut so it'll need seasoned but it was a good price - FREE!!!!

Free just the way I like it. I would not burn wood if I had to pay for it.
So I will burn anything. Cottonwood,pine,spruce,quaking aspen,Russian olive, box elder. I have alittle of it all and if seasoned properly none of it smells bad when I burn it.

I may not be getting no 8 hour burn times but I am retired and if I have to will load the stove every 2 to 3 hours.

Every persons situation is different from life style and location as to what is available.

Last edited:
Reactions: claydogg84
Ah-------- the wood snobs strike again! Cottonwood may be low on the charts, but works really good for ease of starting and taking the chill off on a evening burn.
I can cut all the hedge and mulberry I want and have about 8 or 9 cords of both. But I won't pass good standing dead cottonwood. Bag on it all you want, but it will peg the thermo's on my stoves.

I recently cut some standing dead cottonwood and took a few dry pieces from the top to burn. It was very light and didn't last as long as some other wood but produced heat. It didn't really coal, but I think it has its place.

Status
Not open for further replies.