Could a bad Convection blower cause the auger not to work properly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hockey1318

Jan 19, 2019
Maine
I have a Pelpro pellet stove and I have been troubleshooting for days with the company. They had me test the vacuuum switch- unplugging the wires and connecting them with a wire to give them a power supply. This worked and the auger started, but I noticed then that the convection blower was not turning on.

They told me if the auger motor was working with the wires disconnected from the vacuum switch, then it was not a faulty vacuum switch- something else is causing it the auger motor not to work. (I have emptied the hopper and have checked-there is no jam)

Could the auger not work bc of the bad convection blower? They are sending a new one. Or is it a bad vacuum switch?

When I unplug the vacuum switch and use alligator clips, the auger starts to work, pellets drop but the convection blower will not turn on

The convection blower is the one that circulates room air,does not come on until stove has been running a while,and is up to temperature.The combustion blower is what keeps the fire burning properly.

Okay. I will back up. The auger motor was not working. So they had me disconnect the vacuum switch wires to test. When I did this the auger motor worked. But in doing so the stove got really hot and the convection blower never turned on.
As soon as I remove those clips and plug back in the auger will not work.
They said it had something to do with the pressure inside the stove and the vacuum switch is fine. So they had me check the door seal, check hose to vacuum switch and confirm the unit was clean.

Suggestions?

You’re vacuum switch is not closing for some reason. Jump the 160 degree temp sensor and see if the fan comes on. How olds your stove? Pelpro gave a lady 60 miles fro me my number and told her to call me to repair it and they’d pay 40 dollars of her bill. They never spoke to me. The stove is two weeks old. I told her to get her money back. How do they know the vac switch isn’t faulty? Are they magic?

if you jumped the vac switch and the auger worked i would say that the switch is faulty. second issue is why your convection blower did not come on. that could be a bad low limit switch. Jump both the vac and low limit and run the stove to see if it operates normally.

The stove is 2 1/2 months old. They said if the stove started with the vacuum switch jump then it wasn’t the switch.

I will try to jump both the vacuum and low limit switch.

I’d tell them it’s under warranty and to come and fix it. It seems negligent telling people to be jumping electrical components. There are a lot of companies selling stoves without having technicians to service them under warranty.

if you jumped the vac switch and the auger worked i would say that the switch is faulty. second issue is why your convection blower did not come on. that could be a bad low limit switch. Jump both the vac and low limit and run the stove to see if it operates normally.
I jumped both the vacuum switch and the low limit switch. Everything seems to work. Except the convection blower. They are sending me that part. Hopefully it is the answer.

I’d tell them it’s under warranty and to come and fix it. It seems negligent telling people to be jumping electrical components. There are a lot of companies selling stoves without having technicians to service them under warranty.
I agree. It is too new to be doing all of this troubleshooting.

Here’s what you need to do. Follow the wires from the blower to where they connect into the harness. Unplug them and make sure the spade connector isn’t pushed down and not connecting. If the connection is good run power directly to the fan. If it works that’s out of the equation and plug the fan back in to the connectors. Then jump the low limit switch. If that doesn’t turn the fan on leave it jumped and jump the 160 degree fan switch. If that doesn’t turn it on it’s either in the harness or control board.

Here’s what you need to do. Follow the wires from the blower to where they connect into the harness. Unplug them and make sure the spade connector isn’t pushed down and not connecting. If the connection is good run power directly to the fan. If it works that’s out of the equation and plug the fan back in to the connectors. Then jump the low limit switch. If that doesn’t turn the fan on leave it jumped and jump the 160 degree fan switch. If that doesn’t turn it on it’s either in the harness or control board.
How do I run power to the fan?

If you have an old cord, bare of a quarter inch of the wires and touch them to the two fan wires. It’s easier if you connect two connectors to the cord but you can check it the other way.

On the firewall there should be a 200 degree switch and a 160 degree fan switch. It will most likely say 160 on it.
I only have one thing that looks like a switch, and the manual says it is a snap disk. I do not see anything else. I tested the snap disk earlier. Everything works when I jump this, except the fan.