Couldn't buy pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mtnbiker727

Feeling the Heat
Mar 11, 2019
PA
I buy Barefoot pellets from our local hardware store. They burn great, and are made in a neighboring county by a company that also owns a hardwood flooring business. So it's local, sustainable, yada yada.

About a month ago I wanted to buy a third ton to make sure I could make it through the winter, and the hardware store said they didn't have any and couldn't get any because of issues with the supplier. I found another hardware store nearby that had some, so I bought a pallet and went on my merry way.

On Sunday I talked to someone who said he bought Barefoot pellets because the hardware store had them again. Two different stores told him the reason for the disruption was because Barefoot had used their quota of natural gas that they use to dry the sawdust, and couldn't make any more pellets until their quota was lifted.

Natural gas, which is being produced out of hundreds of wells in Bradford County and many hundreds more in surrounding counties, was the limiting factor for producing wood pellets.

What a ridiculous world we live in!

I buy Barefoot pellets from our local hardware store. They burn great, and are made in a neighboring county by a company that also owns a hardwood flooring business. So it's local, sustainable, yada yada.

About a month ago I wanted to buy a third ton to make sure I could make it through the winter, and the hardware store said they didn't have any and couldn't get any because of issues with the supplier. I found another hardware store nearby that had some, so I bought a pallet and went on my merry way.

On Sunday I talked to someone who said he bought Barefoot pellets because the hardware store had them again. Two different stores told him the reason for the disruption was because Barefoot had used their quota of natural gas that they use to dry the sawdust, and couldn't make any more pellets until their quota was lifted.

Natural gas, which is being produced out of hundreds of wells in Bradford County and many hundreds more in surrounding counties, was the limiting factor for producing wood pellets.

What a ridiculous world we live in!
Always helps to have a dual supply.

I have always wondered how much of the "renewable energy" story of pellets is true, given the fossil fuels used for the drying.