Council Tool 5 lb Splitting Ax

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
Not sure how long they have been making it, but Council Tool has a 5 lb splitting ax available. I have an x27 and like it but there's something about a wood handle and the "unfinished" sport utility heads from Council Tool. Has a similar geometry as the x27. Anyone have one? Might just take the x27 and leave it at my camp if I purchase the CT.

Not sure how long they have been making it, but Council Tool has a 5 lb splitting ax available. I have an x27 and like it but there's something about a wood handle and the "unfinished" sport utility heads from Council Tool. Has a similar geometry as the x27. Anyone have one? Might just take the x27 and leave it at my camp if I purchase the CT.
I'm with ya. Looking a for more "nostalgic" splitting axe myself.

Look at halder Splitting axes as well. A customer last week had one and it felt great

The halder looks like a pretty unique system. A little more price than I want to spend. The Council Tool is a good price and, from using my small Hudson Bay by them, hoping its a great value. I guess I will just have to be the first review comparing the x27 to the CT Splitting Axe.

Delivered yesterday. First impressions before using...
1. Hard to visualize what the size/ weight will really be until you hold it. I know it sounds strange but it feels "heavier" and "bigger" than I was anticipating. Not a bad thing. Very manageable weight and feel.
2. Fit and finish is what I expect from a $75 tool. It's hung well, but not like a custom hafting would be. Little bit of shoulder role, but it's expected for this price range. It is hung very solid. I don't think it will be coming loose any time soon.
3. The handle grain is not great and half of it is heart wood. That goes against the general rules, but if you are a follower of Buckin' Billy Ray, he doesn't subscribe to those standards and he has a lot more experience than me. There is absolutely zero run out, which I would be more concerned with.
I split a little green cherry and dead standing ash with it last night. Split the cherry about the same as the x27, which isn't great. 10-12" rounds with twisted grain. Both the x27 and CT would bury but get squeezed so hard to remove. Nothing but the hydro splitter blasts through the green cherry. Both axes split the dead standing ash with ease. The pro for the CT over the x27 though is the grind on it. It has a little "stick" to it so I can pick up/ move chunks around without bending over as much. It's more versatile in that way, to me at least.
Going to do some handle mods (scrape off wax, thin the sides up a bit, burn it and oil it. Hoping to get some more time in some oak and more on the cherry soon. Will continue updates.

B66BE1D6-12BC-4BEB-8A0C-5D676F1164D0.JPG 99B7651C-FABF-4C82-AB1C-BE036F80862A.JPG

Reactions: trailrated
Delivered yesterday. First impressions before using...
1. Hard to visualize what the size/ weight will really be until you hold it. I know it sounds strange but it feels "heavier" and "bigger" than I was anticipating. Not a bad thing. Very manageable weight and feel.
2. Fit and finish is what I expect from a $75 tool. It's hung well, but not like a custom hafting would be. Little bit of shoulder role, but it's expected for this price range. It is hung very solid. I don't think it will be coming loose any time soon.
3. The handle grain is not great and half of it is heart wood. That goes against the general rules, but if you are a follower of Buckin' Billy Ray, he doesn't subscribe to those standards and he has a lot more experience than me. There is absolutely zero run out, which I would be more concerned with.
I split a little green cherry and dead standing ash with it last night. Split the cherry about the same as the x27, which isn't great. 10-12" rounds with twisted grain. Both the x27 and CT would bury but get squeezed so hard to remove. Nothing but the hydro splitter blasts through the green cherry. Both axes split the dead standing ash with ease. The pro for the CT over the x27 though is the grind on it. It has a little "stick" to it so I can pick up/ move chunks around without bending over as much. It's more versatile in that way, to me at least.
Going to do some handle mods (scrape off wax, thin the sides up a bit, burn it and oil it. Hoping to get some more time in some oak and more on the cherry soon. Will continue updates.

View attachment 309465 View attachment 309466
Excellent review walhondingnashua.

Split a little red oak and some dead ash today. From the limited splitting, this thing is what I will go to for oak rounds first every time. Snapped right though the rounds with ease, even easier than the x27. I bucked up the dead ash (it was a wind fall) and split it on the ground where I bucked it. 6-8" rounds. Popped right through. The little bit of stick it has was very nice for manipulating the rounds for splitting or loading the tractor. I am becoming a fan, depending on what I am splitting.

Split a little red oak and some dead ash today. From the limited splitting, this thing is what I will go to for oak rounds first every time. Snapped right though the rounds with ease, even easier than the x27. I...
Thanks for the review/experience. Interesting you found it last time to be easier than the x27. That's what I have, if I do get another I'll keep the Council Tool in mind.