Country Comfort 150

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Zel

Sep 26, 2016
Wisconsin
Hello,
I recently purchased a cottage that has a Country Comfort wood stove/burner in it. It has not been used for at least 3 years and has some internal rust issues. However, the outside of the stove looks solid. I was able to free the dampers, but in looking inside the stove, I can see where the "ceiling" of the stove has rusted very badly and is falling apart. I can see some of the insulation (wool blanket?). I contacted B&G Woodstove and A-1 Stoves and neither has this part. Anyone know of another place that has or can make a replacement? Can we still have a fire in the stove without part of that "ceiling"? I am new to this, so please pardon my terminology.

The "ceiling" sounds like it might be the baffle. Is it removable? If so I am wondering if it could be used as a template for a new one cut out of stainless steel?

Thanks for the reply. I am not certain if it is. I tried pulling on it, but it did not budge, but it may not move even if it is removable because of all the rust. When I pulled on it, part of it broke off exposing the insulation. I can also see some v shapes above it that has little holes drilled in it. I can try again this weekend. Do you believe it is okay to start a fire in it?An inspector already checked the chimney and said it was good to go.

If the baffle and burn tubes are welded in steel and not stainless I would plan on scrapping the stove and would not risk burning in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.