Country Comfort Model CC175 circa 1991 firebox issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

solsticeunion

Feb 6, 2024
CT
Hello! First time post here. We bought our house last year and it came with a Country Comfort Model CC175 circa 1991 installed in the basement. It had a visual inspection by the chimney sweep last year who said it seemed well maintained and a unit capable of heating the house. We fired it up this winter and it all seemed in working order for the last three months.

The issue is one of the the firebox "bricks" (not sure correct term) that is made of metal has dislodged. We used a shop vac to clean the firebox and I think it may have pulled out some debris that was holding it in place. There is some kind of fire retardant insulation inside the metal, which seems fragile. It is a long rectangle on the right side of the firebox on the door handle side. There is a matching one on the opposite side. The other "bricks" are more standard brick shape. Pictures are included to show it mostly in place and fully removed, plus the material in and around it. Suggestions for repair?

1) Can we safely use a firebox mortar to hold the metal piece in place? It wedges in pretty snugly, but then pops loose.

2) If so, should there be more fire safe insulation against the stove wall? The brick is lined with a fire safe material that seems intact, but it looks like there were scraps of other fire safe materials stuffed in there too (some looks like the cording used on the door gasket?). Should that insulation be replaced or should that space be empty?

We have not been able to find anyone local who services wood stoves they have not installed. Thanks for your advice!

stove_01.png

stove_02.png

stove_03.png

stove_04.png

stove_05.png

stove_06.png

stove_07.png

stove_08.png

stove_info.png

If you know anyone with a stick welder you can put it back in place correctly, furnace cement will fail with high temps over time.

I would just put it back as it is, interesting use of door gasket as filler, never seen the back of one before.

That stove doesn't owe anyone anything, 30 years old and still going.
Thank you! I'm sure you're right about the stove not owing anyone anything! I should probably leave it at that, but would still love to eek a little out of it before we decide it we want to get a new one...
Novice question then--do you think it could be welded with a propane torch or is that not high enough heat? I've only used a MIG electric welder but don't have access to one or a stick welder. I reconnected some pipes with a propane torch a while back. Wondering if just mortar might get us a few weeks to end the season then decide what to do?

Reactions: solsticeunion