Country Flame NPS-1000 Startup issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DIY Guy

Feb 1, 2021
Kansas
Hi all,

I need some help. I have a Country Flame NPS-1000. It is about 17 years old and has always worked flawlessly.

I recently have an issue where at start up, the auger and igniter will run for 15 seconds or so and then it goes into the blinking light mode.

I have thoroughly (I think at least) cleaned the stove and flue. I have checked the ohms on the 3 limit switches and they are good. I also took out the exhaust blower and room air blower and cleaned them also. I have currently bypassed the vacuum switch and it has run like that for several months. I have another one on order.

The PC board has error codes but none have shown up. The manual says the blinking lights mean an unknown condition occurred.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should check next? Also, I am not using a thermostat and the leads for that are jumpered together.

Thanks

could be a bad igniter or control board. from the manual i see there is 4 snap disc's 250 high limit N/C, 120 cool down N/O, 120 room air N/O and a 110 safety N/O tied into auger. if they are all working then i would lean towards a control issue

It is cleaner than it has been since new. I do have an operating manual but it has nothing for trouble shooting. Is there another type of manual I can get ahold of?

I have been working on this stove for 2 weeks now and I see nothing for a snap disc associated with the auger. I even replaced the auger motor a couple years ago and never saw a switch associated with it. I assume the auger is strictly controlled by the pc board based on various inputs.

I do appreciate your response. I am not giving up on fixing this. They are not that complicated of a mechanism. At this point I don't think the pc board is bad but I may be wrong. I would think if it failed I wouldn't even see the 15-20 seconds of start up that is happening.

Thanks for that link. That is a little different than the manual I have.

I know for a fact that I have only 3 snap discs. I am confused why they are showing 4.

I have one just downstream of the exhaust blower that is in the exhaust flow. I assume this doubles as a flame detector and when temp hits 110 the unit goes from start up to normal run mode.

I have another on the back of the fire box for the room air fan (same exact part as the one above) and the other on the back of the firebox is the 250 deg overheat high limit switch.

I have a new exhaust gasket and vacuum switch on order. Looking forward to getting those installed but I don't think that will solve my problem.

Thanks again for your help.