countryside baby magnum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickwai

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
ohio
$400 for a baby magnum w/ a bad auger motor, is this a good deal?
Thanks for the input

Plan on spending another $300 or more in necessary upgrades AFTER the auger motor replacement to make it a decent pellet burner. You will be disappointed when comparing it to your Harman.

For a location with little heat demand, however, it can be made a decent little heater.

jrsdws,
Thanks for the info, just sounded like not much money. I have never worked on one, my thinking was get unit for about $300 put 100-125 in auger motor, clean unit up and have a good stove. If it was a st croix i would be all over it! Or a Harman but you never see a harman cheap.

If you were burning corn I'd agree it might be ok. But for pellets, it requires a combustion blower upgrade as a bare minimum. The cast iron pellet pot is also a near necessity. Otherwise if you don't mind scooping ash and partially burnt pellets out of the pot every 8 hours or so, I'd say go for it. It's not a poorly built stove and it's easy to work on. It was designed for burning corn. Check the year on it. I think it was after 2007 they started putting these better combustion blowers in at the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.