Countryside Magnum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rickwai

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
ohio
I dont have any experience with Countryside. Hopefully someone has some insight here.
My buddy has one of these in his walkout basement. Stove heats and seems to run good. But when shutting it down he said it is a 45 min process because he has to baby sit it so it does not dump smoke in the house. He said when he shuts it down it quits feeding and comb blower runs for awhile (not sure on exact time) Then comb blower shuts off. A few minutes later the lower auger turns a couple of revolutions to clear any fuel out. Usually at this point there are some embers in the burnpot and pellets start to smolder? So he has to start the fan again to get this fuel to burn up and go out??
This is info he gave me, I dont know what questions to ask him to get anymore info to help him solve this issue. Any suggestions? He just lives 2 doors down so I have access to the stove.
Burning pellets and not using stir stick

I dont have any experience with Countryside. Hopefully someone has some insight here.
My buddy has one of these in his walkout basement. Stove heats and seems to run good. But when shutting it down he said it is a 45 min process because he has to baby sit it so it does not dump smoke in the house. He said when he shuts it down it quits feeding and comb blower runs for awhile (not sure on exact time) Then comb blower shuts off. A few minutes later the lower auger turns a couple of revolutions to clear any fuel out. Usually at this point there are some embers in the burnpot and pellets start to smolder? So he has to start the fan again to get this fuel to burn up and go out??
This is info he gave me, I dont know what questions to ask him to get anymore info to help him solve this issue. Any suggestions? He just lives 2 doors down so I have access to the stove.

OK so what I do is lift the lid where the pellets go in, that stops the feed. Wait for the fire to die down then if you want turn it to off.
I hardly ever shut the stove down except to really clean it. I wait for the fire to die down then get the clinker out and over the side and throw a few pellets on top of the coals and when they are going shut the lid, stove will start to feed again. They make a cast iron pot for this stove now that is really an improvement, even at the price of about $100

They only use the stove to warm the basement when they are hanging out down there a few hrs a day. The problem is the comb fan shuts down before the fire is completly out then it dumps a few pellets in to clear the auger and the stoves starts to smolder. If they dont stay with it, it smokes u the basement. Is it because they are not using the stir stick? Maybe coals need agitated to burn more complete at shut down? They have geothermal heat so they use the stove on demand. It is a manual lite stove

Well I would say if what I posted does not help: Then there is this, the 3500 is a big heavy stove and it takes along time to fully warm up. If they are not using it all day that would be the main reason. The heat is gone off the sensors before the fire/ smoke is all the way out. Short of bypassing things or direct wiring the exhaust motor it will be an issue.

I have an easy mod. I put an on/off toggle switch on the feed wire and mounted it on the back of the stove. You could do the same and simply turn off the switch when you want to shut down the stove. The feed will stop, the fan will run longer, and the proof of fire switch will shut down the stove. I added it to my magnum because it need more time to startup before the corn automatically started feeding.

I have an easy mod. I put an on/off toggle switch on the feed wire and mounted it on the back of the stove. You could do the same and simply turn off the switch when you want to shut down the stove. The feed will stop, the fan will run longer, and the proof of fire switch will shut down the stove. I added it to my magnum because it need more time to startup before the corn automatically started feeding.
I don't think they ever came back: That being said I like you Idea, but I just lift the lid because that shuts off the corn flow. My biggest issue now is slowing down the air moving thru this ol girl since I upgraded to the new fan and cast iron pot. LOL

Those are all great suggestions. I will relay info. Thanks!!