Couple installation questions on liner, insert, & blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jdlev

Nov 17, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Hi Guys,

Got my fireplace insert and liner installed, now just have to finalize the position of the insert and put the cap on the chimney. I have to say...this is probably the last time I'll be going up on the roof...we have a 3 story house with a 12/10 roof angle. I'm lucky I installed the safety harness straps, because there was zero traction on that steep a roof. So to all you other DIY'ers...don't be a moron if you have a steep roof...gravity always wins!

Liner Question

My last step on the roof is to add the cap and the stainless cover. I'm not familiar with what the inside of the chimney is made of, but it looks ceramic? I've got the high temp silicone to seal it, but I didn't know if that was also supposed to be what 'secured' it to the chimney?

Insert Question

So far I love the insert I purchased (Century CW2900), though the glass did arrived cracked. I'm not sure how to position it exactly? Right now it's pushed as far back in the fireplace as it will go. I plan to pull it out some, but don't want to rip the liner off (which was a nightmare to get through the damper), and the angle could cause some issues. I assume the ideal position is to have the insert far enough forward that the outer shell that circulates air back into the room from the blower and that is in front of the faceplate, which would probably expose 10" or so of the insert? Should the faceplate be sealed with the high temp silicone as well?

Blower Question

Our insert came with a variable speed 120 CFM blower. The only thing the instructions tell you is to let the insert heat up for an hour before turning on the blower. Is there a sweet spot to shoot for? If you try to move too much air, I doubt it would heat it sufficiently?

Also, yesterday I pulled the blower because while it sounded like it was on it didn't really seem to be pushing a whole lot of air. So when I ran it when it was off the insert, it blew like a hurricane. I put it back on, and hardly any air moves. I'm not sure if inserts have a separate damper for the blower, but couldn't find anything? Maybe the volume of the opening of the casing that surrounds the insert is just so large that you can barely feel the hot air coming off the unit?

Thanks for the tips & advice!

If you have a flat top plate with the liner you seal the bottom of it to the top flue tile, the ceramic thing, with a bead of silicone. As to the blower, let the insert get to over four hundred degrees stove top temp before turning it on so the firebox is hot enough for an efficient burn. With a liner, no need to seal the insert surround to the fireplace.

Reactions: jdlev