Couple newbie questions.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asapappa

Oct 16, 2016
Ohio
I have a newly installed quadrafire voyager grand. I have just installed a block off plate and insulation, and I am ready to fire this unit up for a few small break in fires. My block off plate is fairly snug, but it does have a few gaps at the walls and at the ss liner. Should I stuff the gaps with roxull, caulk them, or can I use the Dow fire stop, smoke block, spray foam? I couldn't find a max temp for the spray foam anywhere. Figured you guys would know. Also I have some 3/16 Luan from a project left over and thought it would make good kindling - thoughts? Also, any advice before I fire this unit up? Thanks in advance!

I think you can seal the plate at the wall with a high-temp silicone gasket maker, like the copper stuff at the auto parts store that is for exhaust systems. IIRC, it has 700-800* intermittent rating. I've used it on the door gasket for the Buck 91, which came from the factory with silicone there. Is the insulation on top of the block-off plate snug against the liner? That might be a good enough seal adequately there, I don't know.

Reactions: Buckshot1955
Thall shalt not burn plywood.

The combustion products of the burning plywood glue are nasty.

Can't help with your other questions.

Silicone the perimeter gaps around the block-off plate. Do not use anything around the liner itself. Don't use fireblock foam for this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.