Covered Wood Bin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So they're ventilated (Bluerubi's don't look ventilated), how big, and what are you looking under? Am getting nothing for collapsible plastic pallets on CL. For $50 for a roughly 4x4x4 industrial grade bin, looks good, used or new?

I'll take a pic of the one's I have when I set one up, right now they're folded and out of the way but I use them in the burning season.

Interesting wagon. Looks like you're cutting pretty short pieces, they might fit my Century N/S. Have seen some bucking devices on youtube, yours looks better made.

Still trying to figure out a way to bind the cut-offs together so thay they could be handled like logs or splits, so wouldn't have to manually stack them tightly in the stove (which only works when I'm doing cold starts, anyway).

Was looking on Grainger for some kind of binding tool to wrap them with like plastic strips, but the tools were too expensive (in the $hundreds). Thinking like how I've bought, lets say ceramic tiles and they bind up maybe 20 or 30 of them with a plastic band and the tool/machine that does it must seal the band and cut it off, but I would want to use something that burns like rope or twine, can't be burning plastic in a stove. So I've got my eyes open for a tool that does that. Would be handy to have around for other things too. Though have no idea what it looks like or what its called.

Btw, those crates (in an earlier pic) look nice, gonna haveta keep a look out for some like that.
Yeah I like the wagon I got ,a birthday gift from last year , this one ( http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/groundworkreg;-heavy-duty-utility-cart-1000-lb-capacity )
I have used it for a lot around the yard and that's how I bring the wood up to the racks I have on the deck in the winter

I was thinking of using jute twine, like bailing twine , with the right kind of knot you could cinch it down tight and have a little extra to carry it around with.

Those crates were a really good find especially for free ,I found them on Craig's list ,and the place I got them ,they keep putting out more of them.

DSCI0442.JPG

I'll take a pic of the one's I have when I set one up, right now they're folded and out of the way but I use them in the burning season.

A pic'd be nice, but rather would just like to know -- if they're ventilated or not and what heading/category you found them listed under, how big are they. I gather they were used. Just if you have some idea where to look for them, even a link to some new ones, to get an idea what they are called.

But if you have other things on your mind atm, don't worry about it.

Yeah I like the wagon I got ,a birthday gift from last year , this one ( http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/groundworkreg;-heavy-duty-utility-cart-1000-lb-capacity )
I have used it for a lot around the yard and that's how I bring the wood up to the racks I have on the deck in the winter

I was thinking of using jute twine, like bailing twine , with the right kind of knot you could cinch it down tight and have a little extra to carry it around with.

Those crates were a really good find especially for free ,I found them on Craig's list ,and the place I got them ,they keep putting out more of them.

I think it's time I graduated from wheelbarrow 101, that looks like it would carry a lot more but still fit through a gate opening. And could it be possible you can tow that behind a truck or van (probably too small not legal) must be for hitching up to a lawn tractor. Closest TS isn't all that nearby, looks like Allentown, NJ maybe something similar is around stores nearby, will check. Definitely like the idea of it.

See you've got the x25, just got mine, haven't used it yet, but labored long over the decision between it and the x27.

Yeah, I guess I should learn to tie knots (left the Boy Scouts just as we were getting to knots). But I always like having a good excuse to buy a new tool :). Though thinking more about it, not sure the whole idea is worth it -- I mean so I can toss the tied together stack of cutoffs into the stove like a split, but then the cord/twine is going to be the first thing that will burn off letting the pieces fall apart loose right away, though prolly still better than tossing them in one by one, or in handfuls, just have to be more careful placing them,and keeping them close together, worth a try, good excuse to learn some knots.

Went looking for the pallets today to make up the bin, nada, everything was 8' or 10' long, but again I got there too late, gonna havta look around for some more sources of free wood, can't just rely on this place, nearby as it is.

Those wood crates are nice, gotta start checking more at CL for things.

I'd grab the 8 or 10 footers if you can get them home, you can make a nice rack with that length.

I think it's time I graduated from wheelbarrow 101, that looks like it would carry a lot more but still fit through a gate opening. And could it be possible you can tow that behind a truck or van (probably too small not legal) must be for hitching up to a lawn tractor. Closest TS isn't all that nearby, looks like Allentown, NJ maybe something similar is around stores nearby, will check. Definitely like the idea of it.

See you've got the x25, just got mine, haven't used it yet, but labored long over the decision between it and the x27.

Yeah, I guess I should learn to tie knots (left the Boy Scouts just as we were getting to knots). But I always like having a good excuse to buy a new tool :). Though thinking more about it, not sure the whole idea is worth it -- I mean so I can toss the tied together stack of cutoffs into the stove like a split, but then the cord/twine is going to be the first thing that will burn off letting the pieces fall apart loose right away, though prolly still better than tossing them in one by one, or in handfuls, just have to be more careful placing them,and keeping them close together, worth a try, good excuse to learn some knots.

Went looking for the pallets today to make up the bin, nada, everything was 8' or 10' long, but again I got there too late, gonna havta look around for some more sources of free wood, can't just rely on this place, nearby as it is.

Those wood crates are nice, gotta start checking more at CL for things.
Not exactly the same but they have the buggies at HD and other places, I really like the wagon, some people don't like em ,not sure why but I will say load ratings are over rated
The handle on mine U can switch to hook on the tractor, definitely wouldn't want to hook it to a truck , It would be scrap metal , if there was anything left of it :)

The 8' or 10' long, ones will work ,to make the sides, just a few cuts and U can make them any height U want
The 15' stuff I get ,I take a cordless sazz all and cut to 10' to fit in trailer
Many videos on YouTube how to tie knots
, the jute wont last long in the stove , but would make handling much better

Quakertown?
I meant other than TS. The NJ TS stores look closer than Quakertown with better travel times too, I suspect.

The 8' or 10' long, ones will work ,to make the sides, just a few cuts and U can make them any height U want The 15' stuff I get ,I take a cordless sazz all and cut to 10' to fit in trailer
I have room to carry the 10' ones, and there were some 12's. Pretty sure I can get the short squarer ones I want so why go to the trouble of cutting them. But thinking those longer ones would be good for stacking regular split hardwood, rather than put three or so pallets together like I've been doing. So when I take my van over I'll get some 8 or 10 footers.

I have cordless saws, I just wouldn't want to use them there. There are people who live within 50' or so of the place. Their dogs come out barking at times, then they come out. I know I've got every right to be there to pick up the wood, but using power tools to cut it up there?? -- not ready to test that at this point, not until I see someone else doing it, anyway. :)

Had a lot of cut offs today, so I filled up the hatchbk. (got to get my camera working). Was looking at the bins they have there --- they put out some new ones. What's nice about them is they're raised up about a foot or so, made nicely with chamfered edge 3" x 3/4" lumber tightly spaced (less than 1" gap) with 2x4 framing, back, 2 sides, half open front for reaching in, about 48" cube. All it would need is a cover.

Last edited:
Was looking at the bins they have there --- they put out some new ones. What's nice about them is they're raised up about a foot or so, made nicely with chamfered edge 3" x 3/4" lumber tightly spaced (less than 1" gap) with 2x4 framing, back, 2 sides, half open front for reaching in, about 48" cube. All it would need is a cover.
Well, shoot ! there ya go :)

They're not free, can't take them. I would have to build one (or more) like them. Buy the materials and build them. Not sure I want to do that. But anyway, as far as this thread goes, I think I've got the info I need now, just have to make a decision. And I want to thank everyone for the ideas and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.