Covering wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greenergrass

Sep 28, 2006
What is the best thing to use to cover outside stacked wood? I see some use tarps and some use clear plastic with cardboard under it and some use nothing at all. Here in Ohio it seems to rain quite often. If you do cover, do you cover the whole pile or just the top?

I use plastic, but it does break down over time. Someone suggested using tar paper...I might get a roll of that and give it a try. I put down rolll fencing then the plastic for now. It REALLY improves air flow with the fencing.

I let the wood sit open all year until late October / early Nov. then tarp.

I buy the cheap tarps and buy BROWN that way they dont stand out like a sore thumb.
Buying the cheap tarps lets me nail down with roof kaps and after the winter weather has run its toll on them i throw them away in the spring. No worries.

Ya know, I have tar paper sitting around, maybe I'll give that a try. Right now the piles are covered with 6 mil (I think?) black plastic.

Tin...corrugated roofing..it is like 36 inches wide and 10 or 12 ft. long...somebody had dumped about 8 sheets of it in an empty lot..
brown on one side and throw old pallets on top and long pole wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.