COVID and not driving much.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PaulOinMA

Minister of Fire
Oct 20, 2018
MA
My wife has been working from home since March. Only been to her office in the neighboring town a couple of times in the past nine months.

I had a colonoscopy yesterday, and the medical center for the procedure is close to my wife's office. I was to be there by 7:15 AM. I didn't get much sleep due to the second dose of the prep being at 2 AM. My wife was going to take me to the procedure, drop me off, and go to her office for a few hours until called that she can pick me up.

She turns left out of our street, rather than right as we should have. I'm really not paying attention. She drives a two miles and we are pulling up to a light at a main, numbered road that in town.

"Where you are going?"

"I have no idea."

She just pulled out driving the way we do for most things in town, rather than to work. She said that, at that point, she actually had absolutely no idea how to get to her office. :)

Last edited:
I have found it a bit more adventurous to drive as well. A little harder to keep the one ton between the lines (not drinking!). I think I'm losing some muscle memory. It sure makes driving fun again though.

The truck is freshly washed and waxed with an oil change. It just sits there looking pretty a lot.

We've put about 5,000 miles total on 2 vehicles this year. I take the van out every month just to keep it exercised.

I had surgery too, besides not driving as much. The mice got under the hood and shredded the underhood mat and packed it everywhere. Was a real mess to clean up.

A couple of weeks ago I had to stop in the driveway to pick up the lid that had blown off the trash can. I noticed a smell like burning grass, turned, looked at the car and saw smoke rolling out from the fender wells. I shut it off and popped the hood. My first thought was, "I didn't know there was a light under here!". It was flames. I grabbed the water bucket from the goat pen and put the fire out. The car had sat for 3 days. A good portion of the pad from under the hood was chewed off, there were many apples, and hay from the goats packed around the engine.

I cleared that out, replace two burned wires and it ran fine. I started parking it with the hood half way up and had no issues for a couple of weeks. Then I left it sit for two days with the hood down, and the dog alerted on it. More pad from the hood was chewed off, more apples were added, but they had not yet started packing in the hay. Needless to say it is sitting in the driveway with the hood half way up.

I wish we could say the same, our driving habits really haven't changed as we can't work remotely. The only difference for us is we couldn't do a couple week camping trip to Alaska as we intended, but we spent that time closer to home instead.

Sold my car did not need a car and my truck
Wife still drives to work everyday Head
teller at a bank thinking of retiring
They always talk about front line but
you never see anything about bank tellers
being front line I sure would not want their job