Crack In Brick Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JPerch

Nov 20, 2021
Wisconsin
Hey guys,

Towards the end of last winter we were cleaning our fireplace and noticed a crack on the back wall of the brick insert. Since then we stopped using the fireplace but with the next winter season approaching I wanted to look into fixing it. I included a picture below.

Is this something that can be patched? Or would a whole new brick insert be needed? I wasn't sure if there was some kind of a high temp compound that I could use to patch the crack.

We are on the fence with whether we want to replace this wood burning fireplace with gas burning fireplace so I didn't want to put too much into this set-up. Just looking for a fix for the next few years while we decide what we should do long term.

20211120_084534.jpg

Thanks!
Joe

If you have a refractory supplier near you get some Blu ram.we used to patch brick ladles that held 3300° steel.dont know if they will sell the small amount you need.could also check and see if you have a local foundry.

Reactions: clancey