Cracked firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

keepmewarmer

Oct 11, 2021
Seattle
I have a U32-NG2 Natural Gas fireplace insert from Regency that was probably installed around 2003 by the previous homeowner. There appears to be a small hairline crack about 2.5 inches long in the top of the firebox that has occurred at the point where the flue vent was welded to the firebox. Can I repair this crack myself? Or do I need to replace the whole insert? Pictures attached.

IMG_1269.jpg
IMG_1265.jpeg
IMG_1264.jpeg

Is the fireplace removed or still installed? Any good welding shop should be easily able to fix that, but it will cost you a bunch less if you can bring it to them, a portable welder will cost more. Do you know anyone with a mig welder? If it was for someone I knew I'd weld that up for a 12 pack of beer, not really much more than a 20 minute job, getting the welder and grinder to the stove is most of the job.

Thanks. Any suggestions for how to find a welder? Would any welder do this kind of repair?
Regency has lifetime warranty on their fireboxes. Have it replaced

Is the fireplace removed or still installed? Any good welding shop should be easily able to fix that, but it will cost you a bunch less if you can bring it to them, a portable welder will cost more. Do you know anyone with a mig welder? If it was for someone I knew I'd weld that up for a 12 pack of beer, not really much more than a 20 minute job, getting the welder and grinder to the stove is most of the job.
Thanks for the info. I don’t know anyone, but I’m optimistic I can find someone!