cracked glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumaz

Jul 23, 2008
NW CT
So I just lit a fire and saw that the glass in my left door is cracked. It's across the inside bottom corner. Is it ok to burn??????????

Well, tough to tell without a photo...but I would say get it fixed prior to more burning. You could have some further damage with the heat escaping, as well as possible carbon monoxide coming out. The glass itself should be too bad to replace, just my 2 cents. Good luck

what type of stove do you have? can you tell if the glass is cracked completely through? If there is a channel or clamp all the way around may be ok to burn but I wouldn't recommend going to bed or leaving house w/ a fire burning. If you have several clamps located around the door, a common cause for glass cracking is uneven tightening of the glass. puts stress on the glass and when it heats up it cracks. I recommend taking the door off to replace glass, place your hand on the glass & apply even, firm pressure, then tighten individual clamps just enough to hold glass.

It's an F600 - Looks like it's completelt through. It has four clips holding it in. I thinks thats what happened because I was messing with them today when I cleaned it.

would definately recommend replacing. Jotul F600 should have double doors in front so only one piece needs to be replaced. They do make different pieces for each side (glass is coated on one side) make sure you order the correct side. welcome to contact me directly if you have more questions.

I plan on replacing ASAP. Just curious about burning. It's COLD OUT!!!!

Drumaz said:

I wouldn't be afraid to burn it, just wouldn't recommend going to bed or leaving the house with the fire still burning.

Shouldn't be a problem...if you're burning with good draft and it's cracked through but no chunks missing, it'll just suck a bit of air into the firebox. Replace it soonest, but don't be afraid in the meantime. Rick

Got my replacement glass here:
http://www.onedayglass.com/
was $10.00 cheaper than me driving 20 miles to the nearest glass place that had it(not including gas).

Drumaz said:

Correction: IT'S SNOWING !! It's been going for over an hour.

Cold & Windy as a groan here.

Well if it were me I'd just keep on burning and keep an eye on it. I supposed if you were intent of fixing it no matter what you could procure a replacement and replace it on a mild day.

countrybois said:
Hogwildz said:
Got my replacement glass here:
http://www.onedayglass.com/
was $10.00 cheaper than me driving 20 miles to the nearest glass place that had it(not including gas).

+1 I used them also. Good experience!

Did you guys order it from them and have it cut somewhere else or did they do it all?

OK - Did some research. When I bought the stove, one piece of glass was missing so the guy gave a me a square piece. It cost 47 dollars to cut. I was in a rush so I paid the company. just talked to a Jotul dealer... $98 dollars plus tax.. Onedayglass has it for 35 plus 19 shipping (then I'd have to pay somebody to cut it) Local shop says it can't be cut....

One Day Glass will custom cut the NeoCeram for you. At least they did when I ordered it. The rounded the corners for me also. If you give them the exact dimensions it should come to you ready to install.

Yeap the do it all. Make sure you check the glass & measure it before ordering the replacement.
MY manual gave wrong dimensions, I would not have know and orfered the wrong sizes if I did not measure the glass itself.
Make sure you get the correct thickness also. The Neoceream should be it, I think its 5mm.

Spoke to OneDayGlass yesterday. The guy was short with me but very informative and too the point. I made a template with the good glass. Going in the mail today. Sounds like it will be about 70 dollars shipped. I'll let everyone know how it works out. Thanks for the tip on the website. Hearth.com comes through again.

Got the piece of "glass" yesterday. It's perfect. 72.50 for the glass, cutting and shipping clear across the country.

Kudos to www.onedayglass.com

I'll use them again for sure!!

Status
Not open for further replies.