Craft stove questions, tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

64tbird

Nov 17, 2015
Colorado
hi all! New to this site but came here looking for expertise or at least a bit of convincing information! I'm near Denver, co so no real extreme cold but enough to need heat. Our house has electric base board heat( expensive) and a standard fireplace. I picked up a beast of a 'craft stove' last year and used it all last winter. It worked decent but it was just me and my wife so we tougher it out enough and ran the electric heat near the plumbing and avoided any frozen pipes. This year we have a infant relying on the fire as well so need this stove to work!

Now on to the real q's. From my reading on here I did a slammer install. So when there's big flames I can watch it between the top of the stove and the chimney. Only a 1" gap between the stove and the old top of the fireplace so the smoke goes up the flue decent but also sucks heat out. We can feel that from the cold draft coming from the house toward the stove only when a fire is going.

The reason for doing the slammer install is I'm tight on space, low on experience (none) and the stove has a rectangle outlet and the flue or chimney (not sure what the differance is) is a circle. I can weld up an adapter if this was going in my shop with an exposed flue/chimney. But since it's in my living room and I don't feel like knocking out my wall and making more room, who sells adapters that are short, do I just stick part of an adapter up the flue a few inches? Anyone near Denver that does this kinda retrofitting for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.