Craiglist Funnies - Firewood for sale :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
They should have sold it 8 years ago.....

Can't even be 1/4 cord in that thing...

Their intent is to sell it as a live, intact tree...not cut up for firewood. If you've ever priced Japanese Maples as landscape trees you'll recognize that as a pretty reasonable asking price. Certainly there would be non-trivial costs invloved in moving it, but they recognize that. As for paying people to solve their problems, well, I sold more than $13,000.00 worth of "stuff" on eBay...all stuff out of closets or my garage that we just didn't need or want anymore. All the people who bought that stuff were paying me money to solve my problem. Happens all the time. Rick

that tree's current root system doesn't exactly lend itself to a successful transplant.
It's proxomity to the foundation doesn't exactly lend itself to getting transplanting equipment at it, either.

Who in thier right mind plants any tree that close to a house ?
I think that should have been moved a bit longer ago than 8 years.

Firewood.

I bet I could find a better candidate for transplanting on a tree farm somewhere.

Roger Williams Park Zoo wanted some mature fig trees from my back yard.
They never came up with the money to move them.
I didn't even want anything for them.

I've tried to let Winter kill the darned things and they keep coming back.
20 foot tall fig trees are a PITA to try to keep alive in New England.
I don't even like figs.

fossil said:
Their intent is to sell it as a live, intact tree...not cut up for firewood. If you've ever priced Japanese Maples as landscape trees you'll recognize that as a pretty reasonable asking price. Certainly there would be non-trivial costs invloved in moving it, but they recognize that. As for paying people to solve their problems, well, I sold more than $13,000.00 worth of "stuff" on eBay...all stuff out of closets or my garage that we just didn't need or want anymore. All the people who bought that stuff were paying me money to solve my problem. Happens all the time. Rick

I sort of agree with ya Rick...one mans junk is another mans gold.
Thread is probably more pertinant to folks here in Masschusetts who get the "harvaaaaaadddd" thing :)

i though Japanese Maples were very low trees - my dad has one that is beautiful

fossil said:
All the people who bought that stuff were paying me money to solve my problem.

Yeah, but considering your age, it was probably all antique stuff.

<<ducks and runs for cover>>

.It was a JOKE
REALLY!

Stevebass4 said:
i though Japanese Maples were very low trees - my dad has one that is beautiful

Prob'ly a dwarf. We had one (a dwarf Japanese Maple) in our front yard in Virginia and it was stunning. Rick

Jags said:
fossil said:
All the people who bought that stuff were paying me money to solve my problem.

Yeah, but considering your age, it was probably all antique stuff.

Oh, some of it really was, Pokey. But to us, it had just become excess baggage. It was fascinating to auction stuff there. Some things just blew my mind as to what people were willing to pay for them. I think I only ever listed one or two items that got no bids. People will buy anything if you can reach a wide enough market. I sold stuff to folks in Australia, France, England, Canada, Germany, Brazil, Macau, Netherlands, Mexico, and all over the US of A. It was a kick, it was a way to get rid of a lot of stuff, a way to interact with some interesting people, and get some pretty good $$$ for the junk we wanted to get rid of. Haven't been active on there for quite some time, but I can remember when I had something like 14 auctions in progress. Garage was set up as a photo studio/shipping department. Great entertainment. Rick

Do note that the tree is most likely in the beetle quarantine zone so might cost even a bit more if it can be done at all to get it out of there.

This says it all:

"If you get a few of your buddies together I will get a few of mine and we will help you cut them down."

You know that will come with a few cases of beer to keep everyone from getting thirsty.

I see some Darwin awards in the making...

Some people are seriously delusional. Under any other circumstances you would have to PAY a tree service that much to cut it down, and they want someone to PAY THEM to take it...

There is a craigslist thread over at arboristsite.com filled with postings like that. It never ceases to amaze me.

I used to work landscaping while going through college...we sold japanese maples there possibly of the dwarf variety). The owners had one growing near the house and it was a very nice little tree. Not $1000 nice, but nce.

The trees as 5-6' saplings sold for like $50-60 I think. Course this was in New York State and it was more than 8 years ago so that probably explains the cost differential.

On the ebay thing. I bought a building that the owner had left 20-30 cases of perfume in it. Nothing nice. Something your 80 year old great grandmother would put on. I want to say 100-150 bottles per case.

I put it on ebay - $29.99 buy it now or $9.99 to bid. Well if you bid on it, the buy it now part went away (this was a couple years ago, not sure if it is the same way now). Well the ebayers bid it up to $130 a case! I loved it. It was probably still a good buy for them because it was only $1/bottle or so, but still I would have sold it for $29.99.

Brian VT said:
The ad does say around. That means circumference.

Does oak even get to grow to a 14' diameter?

California Live Oak does. This site:

http://www.allsands.com/science/liveoaktrees_set_gn.htm

claims "best specimen today is 120 feet high and 28 feet in diameter. The leaf spread on this tree is over 103 feet."

Of course, one thing Calif. Live Oak don't do is grow straight and tall. The ones I've seen probably couldn't yield a board more than 8 feet long (if you cut 'em ... it's illegal in many areas to cut CA Live Oak. And they nearly always wider in the crown than they are tall, or at least, than the height of the trunk.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Keeping with the original subject...

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/hsh/1116954949.html

I rather like his statement regarding his willingness to consider a lower price for the wood...

"The price for an 8-foot bed is non-negoitable. For less cash I would rather burn it in my yard and dance around it in my speedo."

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.