Should I buy this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

patrickdennis35

Apr 2, 2021
Stanfield, NC
Folks, I have access to TONS of firewood and have wanted something for my detached shop for some time. This is my 1st hearth.com post so go easy... I found this stove for sale https://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/d/midland-wood-stove/7292898909.html and it does have a few weld repairs. According to seller the brick chimney fell when demoing and cause the cracks. He said that he would weld on a 6" chimney pipe to cover the rectangular hole to help assimilate this for a normal pipe, for $150. It seems that stove prices around here went through the roof and this is pure luxury buy for me so I was trying to keep it cheap and use it to warm up my shop while burning excess wood. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Patrick
Charlotte, NC

I wouldn't buy it. It's 40+ yrs old and very inefficient. The old insert would need an 8" flue collar. Keep looking, there will be better options hopefully. Also, putting a safe chimney system for this stove will cost more than $150.

Last edited:
Reactions: patrickdennis35
Folks, I have access to TONS of firewood and have wanted something for my detached shop for some time. This is my 1st hearth.com post so go easy... I found this stove for sale https://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/d/midland-wood-stove/7292898909.html and it does have a few weld repairs. According to seller the brick chimney fell when demoing and cause the cracks. He said that he would weld on a 6" chimney pipe to cover the rectangular hole to help assimilate this for a normal pipe, for $150. It seems that stove prices around here went through the roof and this is pure luxury buy for me so I was trying to keep it cheap and use it to warm up my shop while burning excess wood. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Patrick
Charlotte, NC
Nope look for something else. Also what is the shop used for?

Reactions: patrickdennis35
Nope look for something else. Also what is the shop used for?
It's just a classic workshop that I use for storage, tools, projects, etc. I play some music out there. They didn't insulate the shop initially which I intend to remedy at some point. It doesn't get too cold here but there's around 4 months that I could use some heat in there and I would like a stove to help me get rid of some excess wood. Prices for stoves are all over the place. I dont know what I should be budgeting but not trying to spend too much. I am looking in the used market only.

Thanks,
Patrick
Charlotte, NC
Here is a couple I found in your area that are all better than that stove. And in my opnion, would be work in a shop for occasional use.

First one-Has broken glass, but easy fix to get some cut or order, plate steel stove, easy to work on, generally just need bricks and gasket

second one-this older regency. And these plate steel stoves are very easy to clean up and make look new. About 3 hours and $30 worth of materials. Plus bricks and gaskets.

Third-our favorite indestructible shop heater here
In VT. Good ole All Nighter. Is it efficient? Absolutely not. But it will absolutely heat your shop, and eat as much of what ever wood you want to feed it, and literally last 50 more years. And again, super easy restore. I restored 5 of these last year.

And im sure you can knock all these guys down on the price. Good luck!

Here is a couple I found in your area that are all better than that stove. And in my opnion, would be work in a shop for occasional use.

First one-Has broken glass, but easy fix to get some cut or order, plate steel stove, easy to work on, generally just need bricks and gasket

second one-this older regency. And these plate steel stoves are very easy to clean up and make look new. About 3 hours and $30 worth of materials. Plus bricks and gaskets.

Third-our favorite indestructible shop heater here
In VT. Good ole All Nighter. Is it efficient? Absolutely not. But it will absolutely heat your shop, and eat as much of what ever wood you want to feed it, and literally last 50 more years. And again, super easy restore. I restored 5 of these last year.

And im sure you can knock all these guys down on the price. Good luck!
All far better options

Reactions: D. Hermit
It's just a classic workshop that I use for storage, tools, projects, etc. I play some music out there. They didn't insulate the shop initially which I intend to remedy at some point. It doesn't get too cold here but there's around 4 months that I could use some heat in there and I would like a stove to help me get rid of some excess wood. Prices for stoves are all over the place. I dont know what I should be budgeting but not trying to spend too much. I am looking in the used market only.
I only ask because solid fuel burners are not allowed by code to be installed in any garages or spaces where gasoline or flammable vapors are present.

Thanks,
Patrick
Charlotte, NC
The one you are looking at is garbage and not worth the time and effort...I would be all over the All Nighter that Hermit found for you...while not efficient they are bullet proof stoves and this one would require very little to restore and last you for years..

I can vouch for the All Nighter as well. I used one for about 10 years, and it still looks and runs like new. I retired it because I wanted something that makes a little less creosote. I will say that it isn't particularly efficient, but I miss the amount of heat it threw. If you use the blower, it also starts producing significant heat right away after starting the fire. The air tubes heat up fast while the rest of the firebox and firebrick takes a while.