England's Stove Works / Englander 32-NC strange behavior

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Enplater

Jun 6, 2017
NH
No one burns pine/fir around here except for an outdoor rec fire. You can't give it away
But if that is all you have....
Same here, we have a lot of that white pine and it has a ton of sap in it. Everyone still thinks it’ll instantly give you a chimney fire if you burn it in an indoor fireplace. Most people use it for camp fires here too.

Reactions: lebrunmn

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
And yet many folks only burn pine. It will work as fire wood as long as it is fully seasoned and not allowed to smolder. What causes creosote is when people burn pine that is green or poorly seasoned. It will burn because of the pine oils, but there is a lot of moisture in unseasoned wood and that will lead to cool flue temps and creosote buildup.

Reactions: snobuilder

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
No one burns pine/fir around here except for an outdoor rec fire. You can't give it away
But if that is all you have....
I like it for spring and fall burning when you just need a quick fire

Reactions: snobuilder

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio
Honestly, when its reeally cold out, and you need to push your stove hard to keep the house temp from dropping, as long as you are around to feed the stove, pine will keep the house warmer than oak. Yeah, I just said that ;lol
Don't believe me, try it. The best combo is about 90% pine (or other softwood) and 10% oak...for a lil coal bed...

Reactions: stoveliker

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
Honestly, when its reeally cold out, and you need to push your stove hard to keep the house temp from dropping, as long as you are around to feed the stove, pine will keep the house warmer than oak. Yeah, I just said that ;lol
Don't believe me, try it. The best combo is about 90% pine (or other softwood) and 10% oak...for a lil coal bed...
I can certainly believe that. But I am not usually around to load it

grog18b

Jan 31, 2022
Canton, PA
I burn mostly Ash in mine. I have found that once you have a coal bed burning, open the air up all the way, and it will burn those coals. Just keep pulling the coals towards the door, as they burn, and you should be able to burn most of the coals to ash. I like to plan the fires so by morning I am burning the coal bed, and the coals will burn most of the day (when temps fluctuate between teens at night to 30-40 during the day.) it will heat the house enough on those coals to last most of the day. Clean out the ash and start another fire around 7pm. I'm retired though, so I have time to rake coals during the day.

Reactions: lebrunmn