Craigslist Chain saw powered wood spliter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RJP Electric

Hearth Supporter
Jul 3, 2008
N. New Hampshire
Boy that things got to be slow. Forget splitting anything too hard or anything with knots in it too. A 60-70cc chainsaw has no torque and would literally just stop if it got tough. The builder of that forgot that you get HP from Torque.

The torque must be multiplied by gears.

Agree that it's not the ideal setup for a splitter but it could be made to work. I've heard of chainsaw powered log pullers.

Matt

NoPaint said:
Boy that things got to be slow. Forget splitting anything too hard or anything with knots in it too. A 60-70cc chainsaw has no torque and would literally just stop if it got tough. The builder of that forgot that you get HP from Torque.

A 70cc chainsaw makes about 5HP. A 5HP Briggs and Stratton 4-stroke makes about 5HP.

You forgot that you get (horse)power from torque * rpm.

KarlP said:
NoPaint said:

A 70cc chainsaw makes about 5HP. A 5HP Briggs and Stratton 4-stroke makes about 5HP.

You forgot that you get (horse)power from torque * rpm.

No doubt, however a long stroke B&S;engine v. a chainsaw 5hp is not even a fair comparison. The B&S;can lug through a crotch whereas the chainsaw engine will have little flywheel weight and stroke to back it up. I would say this splitter is cool for someone looking to customize it up a bit and maybe go with a 4 cycle.

don't knock it if you haven't seen it in action guys.... Probably beats sledge -n- wedge.

karri0n said:
don't knock it if you haven't seen it in action guys.... Probably beats sledge -n- wedge.

Well said! I forgot I have been using a sledge n wedge since I started burning wood and a splitter only once (Iron and Oak and it was heavenly).

heck by the time you put a 70-80 cc saw on it, now your talkin big money to run that 450.00 splitter imo

NoPaint said:
karri0n said:

Well said! I forgot I have been using a sledge n wedge since I started burning wood and a splitter only once (Iron and Oak and it was heavenly).

IDK...... My arms, back, shoulders don't generally let me forget such things very quickly.

NoPaint said:
No doubt, however a long stroke B&S;engine v. a chainsaw 5hp is not even a fair comparison. The B&S;can lug through a crotch whereas the chainsaw engine will have little flywheel weight and stroke to back it up. I would say this splitter is cool for someone looking to customize it up a bit and maybe go with a 4 cycle.

Flywheel inertia has nothing to do with splitting force. Hydraulics are used for the force multiplication. If it has a hydraulic pump designed to run at 10,800 rpm instead of 3,600 rpm or has 3:1 gearing on the front end through the drive chain its the exact same thing. Sure the flywheel weighs less and the engine peak torque is a lot less, but since its turning at three times the speed it works just the same. Horsepower is horsepower.

Status
Not open for further replies.