Craigslist score that actually worked out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I agree with firefighterjake EPS....I have a 35 minute commute as well so driving that far is nothing to me. As far as the wood goes we dont have poplar here in missouri other than yard trees. Pine we do have in small amounts and I have burned it and would again if it made up bulk of my timber lot. Luckily I own some land with all hardwoods but if I was on the scrounge i wouldn't think twice about it.

Hey EPS . . . you still here?

Don't let some of the posts get you down.

Yes, pine and poplar are not the best of wood when it comes to BTUs, but many of us burn them. Heck, I spent a few hours yesterday helping a buddy clean up two large pine trees with the pine being dropped off in my door yard. Do I need the pine? Nope. I am something like five or six years ahead and mostly have hardwood. However, free wood is free wood . . . if you have the space, time or need I say burn what you've got.

As for the time and mileage . . . yeah . . . I get it. I have a 45 minute commute which translates into 33 or so miles to work each day. It's rural New England. Growing up I never could wrap my mind around other kids who would only have a 5-10 minute drive to go to the movies, grocery store, shopping, etc. when for us it was pretty much a 45 minute drive at a minimum.
Same for me up here. The closest Walmart is a 40 minute drive and we are lucky to have Walmart’s to go to. When I lived in the twin cities we had so much variety as far as store go to shop at but up here not many at all so it’s good to have a Walmart around even though many don’t like what they’ve done to the small town stores. The closest home center is a Menards store that’s 75 miles away. But I’m lucky in that there’s lots of hardwoods up here hence lots of paper mills too. Wood is easy to find for free locally.

while there was plenty of pine and poplar, of which I took some, there was also lots of hardwood
I grab some Pine to use for kindling, or Tulip Poplar for kindling/short fires in spring and fall. As has been said, all wood burns and is useful in some way. And then there's question of drying time. I just grabbed a couple trailer loads of Silver Maple because it dries quickly and I want it as insurance in supplying my SIL, in case the dead White Ash I've got stacked over there doesn't get dry enough by next fall. If the wood snobs come after me, I'll ask them how much Hedge-Apple they have in their stacks. ;)
I go for any free wood, Pine or Oak, or what ever. My driving limit is about 10 - 12 miles each way.
I used to drive about that far for wood, but found that if you put the word out to neighbors and acquiantences that you are looking for wood, you will soon have more nearby wood "than you can shake a stick at." ==c

Last edited: