Craigslist Wood Seller

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
About 2 weeks ago when we had 28 inches of snow - my wood supply was running low. I knew I had some stuff I split in Oct that might be good enough to burn now - but it was snow covered and difficult to get to. I really didn't want to dip into next years wood. So my wife found a seller on craigslist.

I told him we'd take a cord, but I don't want green wood. He said it was anywhere from 1-2 years since split and piled. So he scheduled us for a Saturday delivery. I gave him my cell and made sure I had cash for him. We spoke again and I asked him what type of truck or trailer did he bring it in? He said a 3/4 ton pick up. I explained a pick up was not a full cord. I asked what type of wood - he said he was thru the red oak and into Poplar. I told him - I didn't think poplar was a good wood and for him to bring me the good stuff. He said he didn't know - since he doesn't burn wood!

What kind of wood seller - processes and sells wood and doesn't burn wood? and doesn't know what is good wood?

I must have scared him off - since I never received a delivery or heard from him again. You just have to ask the right questions.

Luckily - the weather is much better and I was able to move some wood into the garage that we can use by dipping in to next years wood. It's not great - but it will get us through. Saved me $ 185

basswidow said:
About 2 weeks ago when we had 28 inches of snow - my wood supply was running low. I knew I had some stuff I split in Oct that might be good enough to burn now - but it was snow covered and difficult to get to. I really didn't want to dip into next years wood. So my wife found a seller on craigslist.

I told him we'd take a cord, but I don't want green wood. He said it was anywhere from 1-2 years since split and piled. So he scheduled us for a Saturday delivery. I gave him my cell and made sure I had cash for him. We spoke again and I asked him what type of truck or trailer did he bring it in? He said a 3/4 ton pick up. I explained a pick up was not a full cord. I asked what type of wood - he said he was thru the red oak and into Poplar. I told him - I didn't think poplar was a good wood and for him to bring me the good stuff. He said he didn't know - since he doesn't burn wood!

What kind of wood seller - processes and sells wood and doesn't burn wood? and doesn't know what is good wood?

I must have scared him off - since I never received a delivery or heard from him again. You just have to ask the right questions.

Luckily - the weather is much better and I was able to move some wood into the garage that we can use by dipping in to next years wood. It's not great - but it will get us through. Saved me $ 185
why can't you fit a cord of wood into a 3/4 ton? A cord of poplar should be somewhere just over one ton of weight, A regular cab F250 should be able to haul that weight easily.

Danno77 said:
basswidow said:

why can't you fit a cord of wood into a 3/4 ton? A cord of poplar should be somewhere just over one ton of weight, A regular cab F250 should be able to haul that weight easily.
I have many times hauled a full cord of wood in my 3/4 ton F250 HD . I have side boards and we pile it from the front to the back even with the top of the cab . heck first load I ever hauled with it , it was squatting a bit so I ran it across the scales and I was shocked at I weighed in at 10,200 pounds . The truck empty with full fuel is 5100 lbs , the GVW rateing is 8600 lbs so actually I can haul acording to ford 3500lbs I was 1600 over that oops!
Now I work with a bunch of guys that cut firewood and sell it and dont burn a piece .
The one guys is single and just does it for extra spending cash and to pay for his toys , The second guy doesnt burn wood because of insurance reasons because he has a duplex rental in the city .
I have another guy I know he cuts for his back yard pit and always cuts way to much so he sells it off to guys that ask him . He is afireman and doesnt care to burn himself .

I was always told a pick up bed was 1/2 a cord. Now if he'd have sides to extend up 4 feet from the bed if the bed is 4x8 give or take. That would put it about even with the roof of the cab. Not saying it can't be done, but he didn't say the truck had sides. A standard pick up bed piled in - is not a cord. He was defensive about that. No offense to those who sell wood on here and use a standard pick up to deliver a cord all at one time. Not a word from him - tells me I wasn't going to get a fair deal. I guess it's no big deal that he doesn't burn wood. I guess I've become picky after being taken the first year. I never wanted to buy again - because it never really works out well. I wouldn't sell to me either!

Status
Not open for further replies.