Crating as firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Reming870

Nov 18, 2022
I have access to a significant amount of lumber used for crating. This ranges from pallets and dunnage and a wide variety of soft woods with some oak beams here and there.

Any downside to using the wood off these crates. Some are rough cut 3x3 or 4x4 pieces 8 ft long. I was thinking of using these pine pieces for mild days and mixing the oak into the stacked wood for the stove.

As long as they do not have any special coating on them or are pressure treated you are good to go. The wood can be quite dry so a stove with good air control is a positive.

As mentioned, as long as the timber isn't treated they are great for kindling. I use them as well as old fence palings with great success.

That burns super hot! I mix it in with Ash, Oak,Maple. Also great starting the fire.
I just pulled a truck load of 3 foot 2X4's from a job site.

I have used pallet wood in the past. I would take the thinner pieces and stack 4 or 5 thick and pop a couple 2 1/2" finish nails to hold them together and create what resembled a log to slow the burn.

Reactions: Tylervt
If you have a cat stove you have to make sure you keep all the nails/screws/staples or any other metal objects out of your stove. The metal will ruin your cat.