Creosote build up....is this normal.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guest5234

I have a JOTUL F250 and have been burning for about 10 hrs a day for 3 months with wood at about 20 to 22% moisture, I pulled out the plate just below the stove pipe (baffle plate)? and had build up of cresote flakes on the top of the plate about 3/4 of a cup....is this normal? I have tried to keep the stovepipe thermometer out of the cresote portion.
Thanks..

Is it coming from further up your liner and then falling down to where you see it? The reason I ask is, it is common to find creosote buildup in the very last portion of the flue/liner and cap. Creosote builds up there because it is coolest at that point. The creosote forms, then flakes off and falls back down the liner. Just a thought. KD

That is very normal. It condenses like you said on the coolest part...the top.

Neil just so that everybody is giving advice in context I am including excerpts from your last few posts:

Neil - December 7

Hi, I have been burning for 4 months and have had no problems, glass and inside of stove stay clean and stovepipe and what I can see 2 foot up the liner has just flaky light ash on the inside, but when I went to the top of the chimney the stainless steel chimney cowl has sticky creosore on it, it is not a great build up but it is there, is this anything to worry about?

Neil - December 10

4 months burning and like many new stove owners I have got secondary burn for 10 or 14 minutes and could only start open eyed at the stories of 1 hours plus of secondary burn……….until now…… last night I had 3 good oak splits going and a hot fire… decided I was off to bed and as it was a very cold night and I decided to throw 2 large birch splits on to keep the poor dog warm downstairs, opened the air up and went for a drink… came back 2 mins later to find the whole firebox a raging mad fire, quickly shut the air down fully and then the light show started….

Neil - December 20

Been burning dry wood for 3 months now but have noticed a few times in the last month a sort of crackling sound from stove pipe which just lasts a few seconds, is it the ash burning off the pipe or is it cresote burning off...and is it normal?

Neil - December 22

I have a JOTUL F250 and have been burning for about 10 hrs a day for 3 months with wood at about 20 to 22% moisture, I pulled out the plate just below the stove pipe (baffle plate)? and had build up of cresote flakes on the top of the plate about 3/4 of a cup....is this normal? I have tried to keep the stovepipe thermometer out of the cresote portion.

Status
Not open for further replies.