Creosote buildup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We just had another inch of rain yesterday. Wettest year on record for CT last year and this year looks the same so far. Thinking I'm going to cut up pallets and mix in with my "seasoned" wood
The coated nails in pallets are not good for some stoves, just a FYI ..

I also thought if you run your stove at high temps for a long period it should burn off any buildup.

Yeah, in a chimney fire. This was my mom and dad's neighbor burning off the buildup Xmas Eve.
IMG_20181224_174847094.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking about running your stove on a low setting overnight and burning off mild buildup in the Am
If you are burning anything out of the chimney it is a chimney fire.

It's a regular thing for those neighbors. The epitome of white trash. They probably tossed some hot-burning garbage into their slammer. The best thing that could happen in that neighborhood would be for that house to burn to the ground. That's why I didn't tell anyone what I saw.

We had rain yesterday night, then 55 today more rain and now it’s gone back down to 39. Burning 4 year black locust small splits with cedar splits just to keep the chill out. Didn’t even bother to keep the stoves going today, figured it was just as easy to let the furnace kick on if necessary. As I said before hot quick fires seem to be the way to go right now. I have cleaned both chimney caps around Christmas it was warm and was cleaning the stoves out so I figured why not. Gave the chimneys a quick sweep as well just to make me feel better.

Reactions: RandyBoBandy
Split it smaller and crib the load. Big waste of wood though!

I feel like everyone from Michigan to the east coast has been suffering from less than desirable MC. Seems like lots of threads and chatter this year about creosote buildup, clogged caps, etc.

What you could potentially imply is that due to a very wet summer people are seeing more buildup in their pipes due to wet or poorly seasoned wood. Isn’t wood burning 101 say “season wood for min. 3 years”. If people store their ready to burn wood in sheds or properly covered stacks then they should have zero issues with build up.

I have not had my coffee yet.......

What you could potentially imply is that due to a very wet summer people are seeing more buildup in their pipes due to wet or poorly seasoned wood. Isn’t wood burning 101 say “season wood for min. 3 years”. If people store their ready to burn wood in sheds or properly covered stacks then they should have zero issues with build up.

In a perfect world yes. All of my wood sits split in a pile for 2 years before it gets brought into the shed. I don’t have enough shed space to get 6 full cord covered and I hate messin with tarps. I also fell behind on my wood management this year due to running a business and having another kid. I am dedicating another shed that was used for equipment attachments into another wood shed. Can probably squeeze 4 full cord in that one. No more excuses for me next year. If I’m correct,however, people have been reporting their covered stacks actually going up in MC due to all the rain this year.

Reactions: heavy hammer

Well no most people don't season for min 3 years. I never have and have always had wood under 20%. But this year even some of my 2 year old stuff which most years would be in the 16% to17% range is over 20%. Even though it was covered the whole time it took on moisture just from. The abnormally humid weather in our area.

Last edited:
Reactions: heavy hammer
Well no most people don't season for min 3 years. I never have and have always had wood under 20%. But this year even some of my work year old stuff which most years would be in the 16% to17% range is over 20%. Even though it was covered the whole time it took on moisture just from. The abnormally humid weather in our area.

All that rain this summer stayed south of the border. We had an average summer in terms of rain.

yah, hissing wood is something you don't want to hear ever. Get a moisture meter, split a few open and see what you got, im guessing it's over 30%.
that's how we do it in Mississippi lol..next year I want be dealing with wet wood.i am way more concerned about my house and stove rather than the environment
d70fdf6b5a26db29be1b2885720044ef.jpg3c2e7de462202ee27d14afc97c6f5887.jpg

2018 drolet ht2000

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope everyone is just keeping a better eye on things and trying to burn hot when possible. With these warmer temps I have just been having short hot fires to take the chill out of the house. I figured it is better than dialing the stove back to about nothing just to keep it going. I’m using more kindling and matches but until it gets cold what are you supposed to do.
same here got to light the fire every night

2018 drolet ht2000

It's a regular thing for those neighbors. The epitome of white trash. They probably tossed some hot-burning garbage into their slammer. The best thing that could happen in that neighborhood would be for that house to burn to the ground. That's why I didn't tell anyone what I saw.
and here goes the name calling how mature of you to point out these people social status..

2018 drolet ht2000

Animosity between neighbors drives me bats. Even more when a neighbor pretends to be friendly but they really despise you.

Seems hard to believe, but my dad is telling me we were 117 inches over the average last year.
That doesn't sound right. Would be almost an additional 10" per month. We had second most wet year in my area. Ended at about 63" for the year. I think it was NOAA that said that this may be the new normal for the NE.

Isn’t wood burning 101 say “season wood for min. 3 years”. .

This depends also on the species of wood, whether one cuts it green or standing deadwood or fallen deadwood, the relative humidity of the locale.

Here we have very low humidity almost always. Unless it's raining or just did, which isn't often. I can fell, cut up, and split green pine, blue spruce, ponderosa pine, or even aspen [which is the only wood we have here, basically]. Stack it and have wood ready to burn in only a few months. As in, split in June and burn in October. I can split up standing deadwood and it's ready to burn in a few weeks or sometimes immediately.

Relative humidy often in single digits here, west of Denver.

However, I am fortunate enough to be able to stack and store my wood for several years. Right now I am burning some that I brought in after a violent wind storm [115 mph] took out a bunch of towering blue spruce back in Nov. 2011 and I split the next summer. So, 8 years ago. However, I also have some pine I split green last fall, September, and it is as dry and ready to burn as the old stuff.

My brother-in-law in east Texas can cut up and split some oak, green or dead, and it takes a couple years to be ready. However, he lives in the woods and the termites get to his wood stacks sometimes in a few months. Different problem...no termites for me.