Creosote burning inside burn chamber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mar 2, 2023
Denmark
Hello, I’m new to this place so bear with me if I’m asking about something that has already been answered.
So I have this Jøtul made SCAN DSA 3-2 fireplace insert and I have used it since October to heat almost every day and I have used dry olive wood and mainly sawdust briquettes which are 10% humid which is very low humidity for firewood and I regularly check the chimney if it’s smoking a lot which is never does but I keep having this issue with creosote burning when I open the door and a few sparks fly around but I have tried burning it slower and burning it hotter but it keeps happening no matter what. I have attached a few pictures to better explain issues (btw I cleaned the entire fireplace from soot a few days ago and still have this creosote burning when I open the door)

433B33F0-65FF-42FC-8071-91A60E260763.png 2583FA8E-7A8F-475F-BB37-AF26942FCF83.jpeg 1CAF4726-E093-4E16-BAC4-75EAE9357185.jpeg B0624BFA-D547-4AE8-9EED-52B5818D0D20.jpeg

What do you mean by sawdust briquettes? Like compressed sawdust bricks? Or bbq charcoal briquettes?

What do you mean by sawdust briquettes? Like compressed sawdust bricks? Or bbq charcoal briquettes?
It’s called RUF briquettes, it’s not a specific brand but RUF is the company who made those briquetting machine and it’s up the the sawmill what kind of waste they put into these sawdust briquetting machines and the briquettes I use are without bark and the wood chips inside are quite big and they’re really hard pressed that’s why they glow for so long

So is that buildup in the flue from october till now? It doesn’t look terrible from the length of time, like easily brushed soot. I don’t know what you mean by the creosote burns every time you open the door, but sparks flying sounds normal to me it happens to me on both stoves I’ve run.

The first pic with it looks like a ring of sparks, is that the flue right there? It’s out in the open and not behind a baffle?

So is that buildup in the flue from october till now? It doesn’t look terrible from the length of time, like easily brushed soot. I don’t know what you mean by the creosote burns every time you open the door, but sparks flying sounds normal to me it happens to me on both stoves I’ve run.

The first pic with it looks like a ring of sparks, is that the flue right there? It’s out in the open and not behind a baffle?
No, the flue is a few inches behind that spot (flue sits in the center) and I’m scared such glowing creosote will either start in the flue or spread to the flue and then into the masonry chimney

For peace of mind, check the chimney at the top for creosote build-up. It may be ok.