Creosote inside insert??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Postalizer

Sep 18, 2008
Central CT
Been using my regency i2400 for a while now, and seem to be getting some creosote
buildup in the firebox itself. Mostly the back corners and the top over the baffles.
Just wondering if this is normal or not. Wood is seasoned 2 years so don't think that is the problem.
Thanks

Ed

My firebox is quite clean looking. I would think a hot fire would eliminate any creosote anywhere close to the firebox. Is the glass staying clean? Are you letting the fire get up to temp before closing the air down?

I've got alittle shiney creosite on the face of the insert inside the area enclosed by the door gasket. I believe it's kind of been there since the breakin fires and my struggle with my "seasoned" wood. I gave up on using my "seasoned" wood by itself for heat and have gone to BioBricks for this season anyway. If you're not getting your stove top temps in the 450-500's, you're not burning hot enough. I would run my air wide open with my wood and not see a stove top temps of over 350 (250 front temp). My firebrick will sometimes get some black on it when starting the fire, but by fire's end the brick is back to it's natural color, no smoke or creosite. The window on my door is pretty tempermental however and I sometimes get a little build up in the lower corners and bottom edge. I clean it off occasionally when the insert is cooled off and not in use.

That's what I've experieced with mine anyway.

Just been experimenting with my two thermometers one is a "Rutland Burn Indicator" and the other is an "Imperial Kel Kem" thermometer. The Imperial reads 100 degrees more than the Rutland no matter where I put them, switch places, etc. So obviously, one is wrong. I will have to do the oven test on them to check the true temps.

Thanks for the replies.
my glass gets dirty in the two bottom corners.
I don't believe there is any kind of seam in the back corner, but
I was thinking maybe the insert is cooler on the outer edges??
My fire bricks are all still very clean looking although sometimes during a
burn one will get black because it is shielded by a piece of wood.
This week I am going to go up and check the liner to see if there is
any buildup there.

Any more insight would be appreciated

Thanks

Ed

I get some in the back above the baffle in the 30-NC and assorted crude on the sides up there. And it sure ain't from not burning hot enough. ;-P

What with the blower air passing over the back of the firebox, the cooler secondary air coming in up the manifold in the back etc. it is only natural that the back may accumulate some stuff. At stove cleaning time it is usually just brown flakes that vacuum off.

Status
Not open for further replies.