Creosote Log in Soapstone Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mrmr

Jun 15, 2021
Jefferson NC
I have a Hearthstone Castleton Soapstone wood burner with the secondary burn system(no cat). I burn my stove in the optimal burn range on my temperature gauge between 400 and 500 usually. Occasionally it will drop to the 300 to 400 range before I reload the fire box. This is still in the optimal range on my thermometer. I have two questions. Can I burn a creosote prevention log in this stove? It's not mentioned in my owners manual. Hearthstone customer service will not answer my question but that's a separate issue!
Also, as the fire is burning out and enters the low burn or too cool range, is creosote being created at that time or has all the tars and oils been consumed when the fire was hotter? Thanks so much!

Creosote doesn't really get formed at the coaling stage.