creosote question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kieth4548

Dec 28, 2007
Sardinia, OH
Ok i have a strange question. I have a furnace add on wood stove and I have noticed what I would say is creosote below the burner box in the ash pan area in the bottom of my stove. It's on the walls and door but not on the ash pan or floor. It's shiney and black. The wood I burn is seasoned for over three years and is very dry as I stored it in my wood shed and basement. Is this creosote? Why would it be at the bottom? I burn my stove very hot and I recently cleaned my chimeny and there was very very little build up. Any info would be great.

Thanks and happy new year
Kieth

I'm not familiar with your furnace. What you are describing sounds like creosote, but as long as you're connector pipe and chimney are clean and creosote free, I wouldn't worry about it. I have a Tarm gassifier, and the firebox has creosote buildup but the secondary combustion chamber and chimney are clean.

Thats normal on a wood furnace. The cool air that comes into the ashpan area condenses with the smoke. Your combustion occurs in and over the fire. Its normal to have creasote there.

My avitar is my stove. I figured it was normal for a wood burner but I wanted to put my mind at ease.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.