Creosote Removers, Do they work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe245

Hearth Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
SW of Boston
I have asked on a couple of other treads going but haven't heard one way or the other.So I figured I start one on it. (Hopefully not being redundant or if it's already been discussed maybe someone can point me to a previous thread, still learning may way around) Has anyone tried any of the creosote remover products from Rutland or the like,the ones you just toss on the hot coals or in the fire while its burning. I just installed a wood insert(non cat with S/S liner) They say they are for air tight inserts. Like I said, just put it in a week ago so I haven’t checked the manufacturer of the insert or liner. I was not looking for a quick fix or to fore-go cleaning but if and when we get snow I rather no be sledging on the roof, so if I was able to put it of until a break in the weather plus they claim to make it easier removal of what is there. Do they work or are they just gimmick's ??

They will dry out creosote making it less flammable and allowing some to flake off and fall into the firebox or elbow. It is not a substitute for sweeping but it makes sweeping easier and I guess offers a measure of protection if you are burning with a real dirty chimney. I use them in the non epa stoves out at the old house at the farm and at my cabin where I deer hunt and they do dry and loosen some of the creosote. You can actually hear some of the stuff falling back down the chimney during subsequent burns.

As stated, they are not a substitute for manual cleaning. They are primarily used to chemically change the "glaze" type creosote into something far easier to brush.

Joe O said:
So they are worth the 2$ until I can do a true cleaning (without put it off to long of course)

If you suspect that you have glaze type creosote, then I would say yes. Otherwise, not necessarily.

Never saw one for 2 bucks that worked. If you have a glazed creosote condition, use ACS spray. 15-20 bucks a bottle, as instructed on the bottle for a few days and clean the chimney.

What about a Cat stove, would these "poison" the cat? or are they safe to use on all stoves?

they are fine for cat stoves, but when you use the spray, it works much better for 15 minutes with the cat bypassed anyhow, to give direct access for the chemical to the flue

Whatever you use, it will have instructions. I tried one out last year for the first time about a week before my end of season cleaning - one pass up and down witht he brush left the flue spotless, they really do dry whatever there is right up and make it easy to brush.

I don't have a cat stove, but I remember the one I used said to burn it with the cat bypassed

i use a csl (chimney cleaning log) for the last fire of the season. i wait at least 4 weeks or untill the new season starts, give it a brush. real easy. half the stuff has fallen by the time i get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.