Creosote, Wood, & the PH - 2017 Report

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

toddnic

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2013
North Carolina
This years' winter in the western NC mountains was rather mild. I burned about 2 1/2 cords of wood. Probably about 2/3rd cord pine and hemlock, and the rest, red oak. The Progress Hybrid performed flawlessly, kept the house warm, and we only used about 15% of a 300 gallon propane tank all season (primarily when we were traveling away from home). I just did the end of year cleaning and I only had 6 cups of creosote this year. Last year was probably close to double that amount (possibly more moisture in the firewood). Below are before and after pictures of the chimney and the creosote which was very dry and powdery. I must say that it sure is nice burning really dry wood. The PH performs so much better and really runs much cleaner.

Chimney After Cleaning.jpg Chimney Before Cleaning.jpg Creosote Dry.jpg

Attachments

• Creosote.jpg
    Creosote.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 155
Don't let the ash screen get gummed up... if you do PH is creosote generator

Don't let the ash screen get gummed up... if you do PH is creosote generator
The PH's from the last couple of years haven't even been shipped with the ash screen in. I removed mine a couple of years ago due to the recommendation from Woodstock. There was no difference in operation other than not having to clean the screen occasionally.

Reactions: weatherguy