Creosote?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sapratt

Feeling the Heat
May 14, 2008
Northwestern, Oh
Is it possible to have a small build up if what I think is creosote in 3 hours?
I have a Fisher stove. I burned it for 3 days using the advice of small have fires. Which works great by the way barely had any
smoke coming out of the chimney and stove temp around 400 and 450. Surface pipe temp at between 250 and 350.

Yesterday my wife started a fire while her dad was over. Well he messed with the fire while it was starting up and knock the flame
done so it smoldered. Awhile later my wife noticed that there was no fire and tried to get it going again but couldn't.
3 hrs later I came home from work and noticed a crust on the chimney cap that wasn't there the day before. So I climbed up on the roof to look at it and down the chimney. There was a light dusting of what I think is creosote. It was light and dry enough that I could clean it off
with my hand.
Is this creostoe and was it caused be my father inlaws bright idea to "fix the fire"?
The wood I'm burning has been cut and split for almost a year.

No worry. It's not a concern until it gets to be 1/4" thick, or so.

Thanks Brian. I was a little worried cause of the fast build up. But at least it was light and came off easy.
I was suprised 3 days of burning hot fires was fine 3 hrs of a smoldering fire made a mess.

If it's light and powdery your fine. That sticky black gooey stuff is bad.

There should be a Federal law against father-in-laws touching wood stoves. Twenty years ago my in-laws were visiting and I came home from work to be told that my FIL had discovered that if you put rain soaked logs in our wood stove the burn lasted a really long time. I gave them a few bucks and sent them out to dinner and headed for the roof. The 21 foot chimney with 8X11 flue tiles was packed from bottom to top solidly closed with fly ash and creosote. Completely plugged. In one days time. :ahhh:

Out came the ropes and brushes. Not what I had planned to do in the dead of night. :roll:

BrotherBart said:
There should be a Federal law against father-in-laws touching wood stoves. Twenty years ago my in-laws were visiting and I came home from work to be told that my FIL had discovered that if you put rain soaked logs in our wood stove the burn lasted a really long time. I gave them a few bucks and sent them out to dinner and headed for the roof. The 21 foot chimney with 8X11 flue tiles was packed from bottom to top solidly closed with fly ash and creosote. Completely plugged. In one days time. :ahhh:

Out came the ropes and brushes. Not what I had planned to do in the dead of night. :roll:

he still livin'?

He is a Texas Ranger so I just held a class in stove stoking. He ain't Walker but he does carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.