Crushed stone or raised floor for wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bpc

Jan 21, 2014
Central MA
Hi all,

I'm starting to plan out my wood shed design and am looking for feedback from folks on what they used for the floor of their sheds, i.e. crushed stone or an elevated floor?

Stone
Pros: easier build, no tripping hazard, less room for skunks
Cons: moisture for bottom rows of stacks(?), migration of stone into surrounding areas, not easy to clean once leaves and chips build up

Elevated Wood Floor
Pros: easy clean up/out, off the ground for moisture, structural rigidity
Cons: tripping, skunks, carpenter ants

Appreciate any pictures you have.

Thanks and happy holidays.

I would offer a third alternative. I lay old cedar fencing boards directly on the ground. They never rot, are thin not to hide critters or take up space, and are flexible enough to follow the ground contours.
100_1519.JPG

Reactions: pernox
Mine is raised with chain link fencing stapled over the top. I was too nervous about stepping thru the 8" spacing and snapping an ankle.

I went with a wooden floor with rough cut planks . . . not really sure why I went that route other than the fact I figured it would look good, get wood off the ground and every other woodshed I've seen around this way has a wooden floor. No real trip hazard though as the planks are tight. Carpenter ants are not an issue that I know of . . . but the wooden portion of the structure is 4-8 inches off the ground.

I would offer a third alternative. I lay old cedar fencing boards directly on the ground. They never rot, are thin not to hide critters or take up space, and are flexible enough to follow the ground contours.View attachment 191207
That might work in Montana, in the mid-Atlantic region, I can tell you from experience that those cedar boards will rot in a year or two. I used cedar rounds on the ground as my first row a couple of years ago, and while they are slower to rot than the other wood, they are indeed rotting. I was hoping to just reuse that starter row for many years. No dice!

I am thinking that few inches of medium crushed stone retained around the edges with boards or timbers might work well for many years until fines from the stacks fill in the gaps. If nothing was put underneath the stone (plastic, landscape fabric), around here, the earthworms and other bugs would fill in the gaps with their castings from the bottom up. I know this from experience as well.

Last edited:
I used former treated deck railing and pallets over weed barrier fabric in my woodshed #2. Wood shed #1 had the railing only over weed fabric..

You can see all three in this pic here:

IMG_20161122_151314823%20Large_zpsf72xvojx.jpg

Hi all,

I'm starting to plan out my wood shed design and am looking for feedback from folks on what they used for the floor of their sheds, i.e. crushed stone or an elevated floor?

Stone
Cons: moisture for bottom rows of stacks(?), migration of stone into surrounding areas, not easy to clean once leaves and chips build up

Elevated Wood Floor

Mine has pallets sitting on top of volcanic cinders (gravel).

I used pallets, but am getting rid of them in favor of sassafras poles. They don't rot or shed nails.

If I could score some PLASTIC ones though...

i had mine on treated landscape timbers. i have now upgraded, and am putting pallets on top of them to get even more airflow under the stacks.

if i could have afforded it at the time, yes- i would have scooped out the soil and put in 6" of clean stone when i built it.

Crushed stone is cheap. It's the delivery that will kill you. I got 4 tons this past summer for my shed pad. Stone was under a hundred bucks. Delivery was 125. Next time I'll take my 1 ton trailer instead of dealing with being ripped off like that. Stone supplier is only 3 miles away.

Reactions: Jeffm1
Being a little harsh on the delivery charge.
A new 10 wheel truck is near 150K with annual expenses well into 15K plus a driver and fuel costs. With your 4 yard delivery in a 6 wheeler you're still looking at 70K plus maybe 10K then a driver and fuel.

When you are done making 4 trips for 4 tons how much time, effort, energy with wear and tear did it cost you?

Being a little harsh on the delivery charge.
A new 10 wheel truck is near 150K with annual expenses well into 15K plus a driver and fuel costs. With your 4 yard delivery in a 6 wheeler you're still looking at 70K plus maybe 10K then a driver and fuel.

When you are done making 4 trips for 4 tons how much time, effort, energy with wear and tear did it cost you?

I'm not oblivious to the cost of doing business. However I drive past the place almost daily so it wouldn't take me much time, effort, or energy to just stop there 4 times when I was driving past.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Crushed stone is cheap. It's the delivery that will kill you. I got 4 tons this past summer for my shed pad. Stone was under a hundred bucks. Delivery was 125. Next time I'll take my 1 ton trailer instead of dealing with being ripped off like that. Stone supplier is only 3 miles away.
Yeah, ya know I hear ya bud. Sometimes ya just feel like the money is flying out of your pocket a little too fast... but when ya stop to consider that the other feller has to make a living as well, well that's usually when I realize that I'm not really being completely fair to the guy I'm raging agin.... Be calm brother, and have a Merry Christmas. God bless ya all.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I built an elevated floor. For air flow primarily and I was able to utilize an otherwise useless space. The floor system is 2"x10" floor joists with 2"x6" floor boards with a 2" gap between the boards. All treated. It Holds 5 cords with a center dividing wall.

Attachments

• IMG_0155.JPG
    IMG_0155.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 852
  • IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 638
Crushed stone flooring in both sheds. One has racks made of concrete block on top of the stone and the other has racks made of 2x4.

I went with a stone floor and then a layer of pallets to get a little airflow through the bottom. I cut some slats off another pallet to fill in the spaces so I don't break an ankle falling through.

I use 3 inch PVC pipe as the runners to support the wood rows. I would stick with the maintenance free stone floor.

For me drying stacks and wood sheds are different.

For drying stacks, I put the wood on black locust split rails, too keep the wood a bit off the ground to dry. Pallets will also work just as fine. My drying stacks have no cover. I let the sun beat down on them all summer to help suck out the water from the wood.

The covered wood shed is where I move my dry wood to burn that winter. There the ground is just covered with loose stones (not "crushed rocks" but river stones, simply because that was cheaper, so that is just a detail without any real difference) over some geo fabric (to keep down weeds).

Hope this helps.

My shed is crushed stone with pallets over top of it to allow for air flow (Then wood stacked on the pallets). It is going on its 3rd year now and I can't see any sign of rot on the pallets even on the ends and front of the shed where they do get wet from rain since it all runs down them into the gravel.

I'm not oblivious to the cost of doing business. However I drive past the place almost daily so it wouldn't take me much time, effort, or energy to just stop there 4 times when I was driving past.
Felt the same way about delivery costs and use my trailer for the occasional small load. My solution was to go with full loads (22 tons), took the cost per ton way down and somehow I never seem to have left over stone:).

Hi all,

Stone

Elevated Wood Floor

I have crushed stone in my woodshed, which is about 8X12.
It works, but......

You'd be better off doing something else.
Something you can actually sweep out in the late spring.

Even el' cheapo 16x16 patio blocks from Home Depo' over sand or stone/sand would be a huge improvement.
You can then stack the wood on PT 2x4s or pallets over the cement blocks, remove them, and sweep it clean come spring.

Felt the same way about delivery costs and use my trailer for the occasional small load. My solution was to go with full loads (22 tons), took the cost per ton way down and somehow I never seem to have left over stone:).
I don't know what others pay, but I pay about $450-525 delivered for an entire truckload. Thats for washed #2.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat