gthomas785 Massive Wood Shed Build (progress thread)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I built my woodshed 7’ high to the rafters in the back and 9’ high in the front. The first time I loaded it I realized wood stacked 9’ high is really high. Makes me kind of nervous. Haha.

I use some branches to cross between spaced stacks to make them stable. And log cabin style at the edges of course

Gaahh! So close! We got the last bundle of ridge cap shingles and it wasn't quite enough. All the local places seem to be out of stock in this color. Guess I'll just have to wait to finish the last 6 feet.

And yes, I did install a continuous ridge vent on my woodshed. You can laugh all you want.

20220501_110944_HDR.jpg

She's Beautiful!
So Nice... however, I would've put on a steel roof... something i need to do this summer on mine.
built in '95, the shingles are shot and it's all moss covered. But your roof pitch is so much steeper than mine.

Wonderful work you have done, be proud!

Reactions: stoveliker
however, I would've put on a steel roof..
There were some aesthetic choices made. I like the look of shingles better than metal, as well as the steep pitch.
My neighbor stopped by, we were talking about sheds and he suggested putting up a zinc strip if I get moss growing on the north side. I might do that, we'll see.

Reactions: JamesGuido
It's been a while since I posted an update on this. May and June were filled with family stuff so I didn't get a lot done, but the roof is complete and I've laid down a moisture barrier and crushed rock for the floor. Now I get to restack about 10 cords of wood.

I am still planning to throw some siding on the gable ends, but that has to wait until I figure out how much lumber I have which is dependent on another project. But I'll get those ends closed in by winter.

20220515_095459_HDR.jpg

20220515_095529_HDR.jpg

20220529_143613_HDR.jpg

20220706_173033_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Looks amazing, great woodworking! I'm incredibly jealous...of the shed, not having to restack 10 cords. ;)

Also now that it's done would you be willing to share the final cost? I live nearby and am thinking of doing something similar. I know we discussed it earlier but I'm wondering if there were unforseen costs.

Well done!

Beautiful work. I love the joinery and how you're stacking wood to serve as side walls. Here's what I'm working on...a pair of 8x12 sheds, one for wood, the second (not yet started) as a storage shed. I'm using 4x4 posts for structure (and some 2x6) and reclaimed PT decking for side walls. This is a night view...I have two solar powered motion sensor lights mounted on the inside front beam.

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 8.12.33 AM.png

Reactions: DonTee
It's been a while since I posted an update on this. May and June were filled with family stuff so I didn't get a lot done, but the roof is complete and I've laid down a moisture barrier and crushed rock for the floor. Now I get to restack about 10 cords of wood.

I am still planning to throw some siding on the gable ends, but that has to wait until I figure out how much lumber I have which is dependent on another project. But I'll get those ends closed in by winter.

View attachment 296811

View attachment 296812

View attachment 296814

View attachment 296813

Your shed looks great.. extremely beautiful build. I have 4 none look as pretty. I wish I had the time to put together something like this. They do serve me well.. all my wood is dry.. Good job

My first post on these forums after spending a few days looking around.

Just came here to compliment you on an incredible job. This is what I'd build if I had the skill and budget.