vbu wood shed build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vbu

Feeling the Heat
Mar 3, 2019
MS
Hey guys, wanted to share some pictures of my wood shed build now that it's almost complete.
It's 10x20 by 10 feet tall at the tallest section. As you can see there's a slight slope to the ground so it's about 8.5ft tall in the left front corner.
Note that I am not a carpenter/framer/ wood worker and I've never built anything even remotely close to anything like this, all I'd built prior to this was a small little fence, so take it easy lol

Started out by drilling 9 10"dia holes. I'd rented a post hole digger, but due to the close proximity of a tree it proved to be impossible to dig the 6 holes closest to the tree. Luckily I had a neighbor with some more firepower up his sleeve. He got a little carried away and ended up digging all the holes 4ft deep.
IMG-0610.jpg

32 80lb bags of concrete later, all holes were filled. I mixed them all by hand, and by the time I was done with it I decided I'd mixed enough concrete for a while lol
IMG-0972.jpg

My wife helped me set and plumb the posts
3.jpg

When I got all the posts up I used a laser level so I would have a common measuring point and put boards up as reference. Then I cut all but one of the posts to length.

It took some thinking to get the horizontal beams up by myself and level them out, and it was definitely sketchy at times but I got it done. The horizontal beams are 2 2x6x10's sistered together.
IMG-1170.jpg

Rafters are up and first furring strip is up as well

IMG-1281.jpg

Roof is almost all the way on. I found a really good deal on facebook marketplace for brand new metal roofing panels that they had leftover from a roofing job. Less than half the original price, so I was glad I found them

IMG-1381.jpg

Roof is up and sides are on. I was initially going to do sides and the back, but then changed my mind as I can still access the rear of the shed, so I decided to make a divider in the middle so I have 4 compartments to store my wood in.
IMG-1489.jpgIMG-1526.jpg

I also put landscape fabric down and gravel on top. I think this is a more durable solution than pallets. The temps are supposed to get up to almost 50 this weekend, so I'm hoping to get it stained this weekend so I can start filling it up!

Critique/ advice is always more than welcome

Nice job!

Reactions: vbu
Thanks!

Spent the day Saturday getting the shed ready to be stained. Used a wood cleaner and wood brightener to get the mill glaze and some moldy spots off. By Sunday the wood was very dry again, so I finally got to stain it. Now all that's left is filling it up!

IMG-1574.jpgIMG-1575.jpg

Very nice. What did that end up costing you. Also did you need a building permit?. Anything in my town greater than 100SqFt requires one.

Very nice. What did that end up costing you. Also did you need a building permit?. Anything in my town greater than 100SqFt requires one.
Thanks! I just did the math and it came up to about 2300$. I'm sure I forgot a thing or two so I'd say about 2500 total

Edit: No I did not need a building permit. Live out in the county

I'd still stack on pallets
Yeah I've been thinking about that. I put down landscape fabric and about 2" of gravel. I may try to find some pallets just to be sure

Yeah I've been thinking about that. I put down landscape fabric and about 2" of gravel. I may try to find some pallets just to be sure
Just for the moisture, landscape cloth will prevent weeds not moisture. Also after time the bottom layer will be imbedded in the dirt and gravel. Pallets undercover will last for many years.

Got the front half of my shed full this morning. All stuff I cut down last summer

View attachment 308696
Nice! I had one like this at my previous place and have to build another in the spring. Really helps dry the wood and is neat and tidy.

Nice! I had one like this at my previous place and have to build another in the spring. Really helps dry the wood and is neat and tidy.
Thanks! Yes it is. The WAF (wife approval factor) is very high on this woodshed, much better than piles in the yard llol

Nice job @vbu and fast work too! (another vote for stacking on pallets, here)
Thanks! I was in a hurry to get it done so didn't get any pallets. I put landscape fabric down and 2" of gravel on top of that. I'll see how it works out and I may stack the next batch on pallets