CT & MA TSC/ Lowes/ HD pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Home Depot in Worcester is full of Northeast pellets and some Green Supreme. Last year at this time I was scoring La Crete’s at the Auburn HD. 299.00 for 60 bags coupled with 10% discount. I guess those days are over. I know the reviews on Northeast are not good. Any input? I was thinking of trying a few bags.
Nope, the Le Crete's made thier way all the way to SW CT last year, nowhere to be found this year, just Greene Spreme and Stove Chow. I picked up 10 bags of Greene Supreme Platinum from Lowes last night just to check em out. Right now for options it's $269 for big box pellets or $350 and up at spots like Agway for brands like Hammers. Stove shops are generally banging ya $400 + a ton of softwood. Those Le Cretes spoiled me last year, hottest/cleanest burning pellet I've used so far, next would be Hammers.

Reactions: Pellet-King
Nope, the Le Crete's made thier way all the way to SW CT last year, nowhere to be found this year, just Greene Spreme and Stove Chow. I picked up 10 bags of Greene Supreme Platinum from Lowes last night just to check em out. Right now for options it's $269 for big box pellets or $350 and up at spots like Agway for brands like Hammers. Stove shops are generally banging ya $400 + a ton of softwood. Those Le Cretes spoiled me last year, hottest/cleanest burning pellet I've used so far, next would be Hammers.
Got Lucky and found two tons of Wood & Son on Facebook marketplace 250.00 per ton. Next town over, beat a path up there and loaded them up. So far happy with the Woods, but I do notice the bags can burn differently but overall happy. Had a better deal right after 325. For 75 bags of Northern Warmth Supreme. Made the deal and seller then lowered the price and took a better deal. Would have been about 3 hours travel time to and back, so maybe better off. Trailer holds a ton so I would have had 25 bags in the back of Jeep which would lower my receiver and effect tow. Haven’t seen much lately as it’s getting colder. Hate to burn the Woods now so looking for a shoulder pellet.

Wish I could find some Virginia Golds!!, still have maybe 15 bags left along with few bags of LaCrete, called around Northern Ct all everyone has is Green supreme

Wish I could find some Virginia Golds!!, still have maybe 15 bags left along with few bags of LaCrete, called around Northern Ct all everyone has is Green supreme
pretty sure that EasyBlaze softies are same as Virginia gold if u happen to see them around.

Hammers in NW CT $389/ton + delivery, grabbed a few bags as I'm still procrastinating my ton(s) to purchase, definitely not paying a $110/ton premium for these vs Stove Chow. Tell ya what though, the Greene Supreme Platinums that Lowes sells are definitely an upgrade from regular Greene's , my last resort may be pulling a few tons of those from Lowes this year if I can find a coupon or discount for opening a Lowes card as they run $350/ton and I don't think they discount the bag price for buying tons, but they are definitely better (hotter/cleaner)
than the regular Greene Supreme that HD and Lowes carry for $269/ton.

Green Team Platinum and Greene Supreme are two different companies.The Platinums are nice pellets but overpriced.
Agree on the Green Team. Lowes used to have the quantity discount on those, plus our military discount made them still a little overpriced but comparable to other high quality pellets. Now after they raised the price and took away the quantity discount, they cost more than super premiums in our area, even with the military discount. They're a PA pellet and are comparable to other quality PA hardwoods like Barefoots (maybe a little more ash, but just as much heat if not more). I may pick up a few bags just to have when it gets below zero because they burn hot in my stove, but can't afford to buy by the ton like last year. Now that they're so expensive they should still be available, unlike last year when they ran out before the middle of the season. Stock numbers aren't moving in our store.

Reactions: Harmanizer
Yeah, its odd that they (Lowes) don't offer volume discount on the Greene Platinum. They are good, actually....I think I can declare them as just ok, why the change in heart ? LOL.....because I went and bought some Hammers at Agway, then to top it all off, I found Le Crete at a stove shop, grabbed a few bags of those which are running $325/ton at the Stove shop. I burned these last year when I grabbed two pallets from Home Depot, they are just a total all around bang for buck pellet, flame thrower hot, low ash.

If I burn two bags of Stove Chow, my ash pan is full (Lopi Yankee Bay Insert), my glass is ashed up.

I've burned four bags of Le Crete, not emptied the ash pan at all, the glass has no ash on it, I get the same ambient room temperature on the low setting as I do on a medium setting with Stove chow. Proof is in the pudding....rather pellets folks.

Time for me to motivate and get my tons ordered, second stove project completed, installed and fired up.

And yes, I will pay up for the Le Crete's $325 ton vs $269 for Home depot, as I'm going to burn 25% less pellets, and have to perform 50% less routine cleaning throughout the season.

Yeah, its odd that they (Lowes) don't offer volume discount on the Greene Platinum. They are good, actually....I think I can declare them as just ok, why the change in heart ? LOL.....because I went and bought some Hammers at Agway, then to top it all off, I found Le Crete at a stove shop, grabbed a few bags of those which are running $325/ton at the Stove shop. I burned these last year when I grabbed two pallets from Home Depot, they are just a total all around bang for buck pellet, flame thrower hot, low ash.

If I burn two bags of Stove Chow, my ash pan is full (Lopi Yankee Bay Insert), my glass is ashed up.

I've burned four bags of Le Crete, not emptied the ash pan at all, the glass has no ash on it, I get the same ambient room temperature on the low setting as I do on a medium setting with Stove chow. Proof is in the pudding....rather pellets folks.

Time for me to motivate and get my tons ordered, second stove project completed, installed and fired up.

And yes, I will pay up for the Le Crete's $325 ton vs $269 for Home depot, as I'm going to burn 25% less pellets, and have to perform 50% less routine cleaning throughout the season.
ain't it crazy how people will complain and refuse to pay 50.00 more a ton for better pellets but willing spend same amount or more for a dinner out or takeout that only last few hours while the ton of pellets will last month and half or so...

All the big box stores near me (Lowes, HD, and TSC) in PA seem to sell Green Supremes only except Lowes has GS's and Greene Teams. This is my first year with a stove and I picked up a few bags of GT's to try and they were as good as I could expect. Plenty of heat with little ash.

I ordered a ton of quality pellets from a private seller and wanted to see how far they go before ordering another ton. Figured I could then adjust for next year once I learn a bit more about my pellet burning habits.

My question is, do you guys think the Green Teams (not Supremes) will still be abundantly available towards the end of winter if I need to supplement towards the end of burning season or should I pick up some reserve bags of GTeams now before they run out? My local Lowes currently has about 1500 in stock of the GTeams. I fully expect the Supremes to be available all year but the Teams seem to have much better reviews and I liked them for the few bags I already used, so I'd prefer that as my back up.

My question is, do you guys think the Green Teams (not Supremes) will still be abundantly available towards the end of winter if I need to supplement towards the end of burning season or should I pick up some reserve bags of GTeams now before they run out? My local Lowes currently has about 1500 in stock of the GTeams. I fully expect the Supremes to be available all year but the Teams seem to have much better reviews and I liked them for the few bags I already used, so I'd prefer that as my back up.
My local Lowes in the western Southern Tier NY typically has Greene Teams throughout the winter until late in the heating season (our problem here is that Green Supremes or comparable run out and they stock up with junk pellets), though this may not be a typical winter if European demand starts affecting pellet availability on this side of the pond. I'd be more worried about pricing. Pellet prices have gone up at our Lowes since I made my initial pellet buy so earlier might be better. I just checked and the Greene Teams have gone up $1 a bag since I bought my pellets last month. They are typically $1 more than their regular hardwood pellets but now they're over $2 more a bag ($8.78)!

At that price, my backup will be Barefoot which my local hardware store is currently selling for $299 a ton and they usually don't sell out. We get the Lowes military discount but even with that, the Barefoot are $100 less a ton than Greene Team.

Last edited:
All the big box stores near me (Lowes, HD, and TSC) in PA seem to sell Green Supremes only except Lowes has GS's and Greene Teams. This is my first year with a stove and I picked up a few bags of GT's to try and they were as good as I could expect. Plenty of heat with little ash.

I ordered a ton of quality pellets from a private seller and wanted to see how far they go before ordering another ton. Figured I could then adjust for next year once I learn a bit more about my pellet burning habits.

The Lowes by me will have Green Team Platinum, and Green Supreme. The Platinum's are a very good hardwood pellet. Quite expensive. They don't have them all the time and once they're out, that's it for the year. 1500 bags is nothing. The Menards I get most of my pellets from will go thru 1500bags/30 ton in a week. So if you like a pellet and it's in stock now, buy them, or they'll be gone. Or the price will go up as the burning season progresses also. Bad winter weather = more pellets burnt.

The Lowes by me will have Green Team Platinum, and Green Supreme. The Platinum's are a very good hardwood pellet. Quite expensive. They don't have them all the time and once they're out, that's it for the year. 1500 bags is nothing. The Menards I get most of my pellets from will go thru 1500bags/30 ton in a week. So if you like a pellet and it's in stock now, buy them, or they'll be gone. Or the price will go up as the burning season progresses also. Bad winter weather = more pellets burnt.

Good point. I also have $100 credit on my lowes card so might as well burn it and pick up a bunch to reserve and see how the season goes.

Thanks for advice!

I loaded up on 5 tons of green supremes after burning about 10 bags. A little dirtier than GTs but heat was actually similar. I had 5 bags of GTs to compare.

I paid $277 per ton at HD. $150 cheaper than GT so it was an easy decision. I may grab ton of softwood for cold nights and then I am set.

I just replaced my Quadrafire with a Pelpro PP130 this year. My two closest TSC have O'Malley Power Pellets for $240 ton at one, and Cheat River for $300 a ton at the other. I've had fairly good luck with the cheat river, so I asked them to price match, which they did. Still working out small nuances with the Pelpro, but for the most part I can go about 9 bags or so before the flame gets very lazy and I need to clean. Nothing too solid, just requires a little poke to break it up.

Last edited:
I just replaced my Quadrafire with a Pelpro PP130 this year. My two closest TSC have O'Malley Power Pellets for $240 ton at one, and Cheat River for $300 a ton at the other. I've had fairly good luck with the cheat river, so I asked them to price match, which they did. Still working out small nuances with the Pelpro, but for the most part I can go about 9 bags or so before the flame gets very lazy and I need to clean. Nothing too solid, just requires a little poke to break it up.
Where are you in SW pa? Good prices for O'Malley. Outside phila here. Bucks County.