Current Pellet Pricing Now That We Are Into October

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fletchtb

Jul 31, 2006
Fletcher, Vermont
I always love reading about what people are paying or seeing for pellets.

I just picked up two tons of Boreal Premium Pellets for $215 a ton at Vermont Pellet Stoves in Colchester, VT.

I was suprised to see that these pellets came in 35 lb bags (57 to a ton). 57 x 35 lbs = 1995 lbs, but whose counting?

It is always helpful to know the brand, the price, and the location of the pellets. I'm looking forward to see the current prices around the county.

Happy Burning!

Local Wal-Mart is still $3.60 a bag = $184.50 a ton. Local farm stores are at $210.oo a ton now. { Nebraska }

Prices here in Utah turned around. Did a search of sources, Average is 4.50 per bag. The lowest is out, but giving rain checks. They call, you buy, you snooze, you lose. Some sellers are only selling to prior buyers and regular customers. Three companies, selling unrelated items are now in the pellet business. Lowes and Home Depot are stocked, but they are at 3.99 to 4.50 per bag. Everyone seems to think we are going to have a major shortage.
But it is October, who's going to make a major purchase now or through the year? Those that heat primarily by pellets are committted. The, once in the while, users are thinking about buying.

I bought at 2.79 a bag. Not enough for the heating year, but all I could afford. Now I have a $3.19 rain check, good for call, but a 1 ton limit. Maybe as a Christmas Special we'll get a $1.75 per bag price on the dead stock the stores are stuck with.

$5.59/bag $259/ton :bug: Pellets suppliers 5 weeks out, prices unstable. If i run out and have to buy from a distributor, it will be $7.00/bag $309/ton.

MountainStoveGuy said:
$5.59/bag $259/ton :bug: Pellets suppliers 5 weeks out, prices unstable. If i run out and have to buy from a distributor, it will be $7.00/bag $309/ton.

Kinda makes NG look, well, like free now don't it.

if you work it out, $.81 per hour for a 30k btu pellet stove $.16 pet hour for a 30k btu nat gas stove. yea free....

Still locally at $4.39 a bag and $180/ton for premium pellets. 6th year in a row.

MountainStoveGuy said:
if you work it out, $.81 per hour for a 30k btu pellet stove $.16 pet hour for a 30k btu nat gas stove. yea free....

And the NG ain't gonna get wet in the rain if there is a hole in the bag or take up any space in the garage.

I am six miles from the main NG pipeline for the East coast and we can't get the stuff. Grrr....

I have seen pellets in stores 3x this year:

-Tractor supply, from whom I purchased at $211.00 per ton

-Wal Mart, $5.00 per bag

-SOS Stoves in Port Murray, $300.00 per ton. That guy is psycho expensive anyway....he wants $38.00 for a 1-foot length of simpson duravent 3 inch pipe. Ventingpipe.com wants $19.00. And the guy wonders why I don't buy anything from him :roll:

Roospike said:
BeGreen said:
Still locally at $4.39 a bag and $180/ton for premium pellets. 6th year in a row.
odd pricing ?

They charge more for the per bag shopper. That seems fair. They have to provide store space and often someone to carry the bag(s) out to the car.

I don't carry pellets in my store but out of curiosity I called around to the shops in the area that do. They were at $225 - 235 per ton. Didn't ask about a per bag $$.

Eastern PA, just north of Philadelphia.

yes, we also "quantity Break" pellets.......we charge more per bag, less than a ton. As said above, it does cost money to shuttle half-full pallets around, have a guy load them in the customers' car, leave an open skid around, increasing the amount of damage possible, the paper to write invoices, additional time away for inside sales, etc.....

Tacoma, WA
Lowe's: $160.00 a ton
Home Depot: $200.00 a ton
Star Ice and Fuel: $190.00 a ton

Hey wahsega. keep an eye out for Del's Farm Supply sale in Puyallup. They came down as low as $139/ton last year for Pioneer? pellets. Also, CleanBurn is located in Tacoma. Do they sell direct?

We are at 199.50 per ton picked up North Seattle, Edmonds area. Very slow start for a so called pellet shortage. I guess customers are listening to warmer than usual winter temps forcasts.

Last year I paid $160 per ton here in NE Ohio. This year the same place is selling them for $190 per ton. During the middle of winter last year when supplies were short here, they were selling for $320 a ton if you could get them. My local supplier got in some pellets made from peanut shells. They burned great, but they were larger in diameter than the standard pellet and burned slower. I couldn’t adjust the feed rate down low enough to get them to work. They were also very dusty!

Depends on the brand.. And the store selling them.
Home D. wants $279 per ton for no-name, but some dealers are about $249 for premium.

What does everyone think about a Hearth.com fuel price entry form - that you all could use once you are logged in to record local prices and then everyone else could search or add......

really rough, an entry would look something like this:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/price_templates/index/

It could take wood, pellets, corn, coal, LP fuel oil as inputs since those are the fuels that we have some choice in buying.

Suggestions of the amount of info, number of fields. I usually like to keep these simple as having people remember exact addresses and zips is difficult. We could add optional fields for zip locale - street and perhaps phone....

Let's think about this - could bring a whole new crowd here!

Webmaster said:
What does everyone think about a Hearth.com fuel price entry form - that you all could use once you are logged in to record local prices and then everyone else could search or add......

really rough, an entry would look something like this:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/price_templates/index/

It could take wood, pellets, corn, coal, LP fuel oil as inputs since those are the fuels that we have some choice in buying.

Suggestions of the amount of info, number of fields. I usually like to keep these simple as having people remember exact addresses and zips is difficult. We could add optional fields for zip locale - street and perhaps phone....

Let's think about this - could bring a whole new crowd here!

Craig:
I would fully support this as a data base. I travel three to four states and have no shame in stopping to ask the price of fuel. The more we know about what is happenning close by or far away the better we can control the price we are forced to pay.

Blazers (wow pellets) $3.79 at local Fred Meyers
Pellet King $3.99 at Home Depot - they typically discount 10% for a ton

Interesting thing about the PelletKing pellets (Canada), they come in transparent bags. First time I've seen it and I like this. I could immediately see that the pellets were very uniform in length and there were very little fines (loose sawdust) in the bag. Both good indicators for a nice product. We burned almost 3 tons of Blazers last year and they were good pellets, but a just bit heavy on the fines. Having a transparent bag would have shown this.

Helena MT

Eurekas $160/ton
Atlas $180/ton
Lignetics $180/ton

These were the prices this summer, they have gone up since (around 10%) but that is what we paid when we bought them throughout the summer. This is the first year the supplier is not guaranteeing to have pellets throughout the year. He thinks it won't be a problem but knows it will in the years to come so is trying to get his customers in the habit of buying early.

Great idea Craig, seachable by locale? Do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.