custom rear heat shield for classic Jotul 602

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Stu

Nov 10, 2015
Central Coast, CA
hello, newbie here.

I've heated my hi-ceiling non-insulated one-room addition (mild climate) for 17 years with my classic 602, and I love that old box. I've browsed a zillion threads here and learned a LOT about how to treat my old reliable Jotul with respect. Unfortunately, I read them now... after the damage is done. The other day, I cracked the back of it with my first fire of the season. Ouch!

I'm planning to rebuild the stove, and replace the back, which I've already located online. Internal heat shields (warped) were replaced a few years ago. Would love to add an internal custom-made heat shield for the back as well, to protect it from idiots like me. I found Begreen's thread about using Zircar RS-1200 for this purpose.

1. Do I have to drill holes in my pretty new back plate and bolt it on--or is there another way to attach or wedge it in there? Has anyone tried wedging a plate in behind the side heat shields? that looks like it just might work.

2. does anyone know where I might order a sheet of Zircar RS-1200?

thanks in advance.

Looks like my side plates are both fracked too... I've replaced them once, a few years back. I wish now I had been a bit more careful.

Attachments

• 12242225_10206153495848760_886987708_n.jpg
    12242225_10206153495848760_886987708_n.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 500
The 602 is a great little stove. Way back in time I posted how I used an 1/8" steel plate on spacers in the back. It has worked very well. The piece needed for the rear is tiny. A one foot square would suffice. User @nola mike just got some zircar for his rebuild of a 602N. Maybe he would sell you a sq ft.?
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/rebuilt-the-f602n.148211/

The 602 is a great little stove. Way back in time I posted how I used an 1/8" steel plate on spacers in the back. It has worked very well. The piece needed for the rear is tiny. A one foot square would suffice. User @nola mike just got some zircar for his rebuild of a 602N. Maybe he would sell you a sq ft.?
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/rebuilt-the-f602n.148211/

I would indeed. PM me the dimensions of what you need, and I'll see if I have enough if you're interested.

I would indeed. PM me the dimensions of what you need, and I'll see if I have enough if you're interested.

hi Mike, I'm interested in that Zircar. Will PM you again when I know the size... right now I don't know how to attach it, but since my pipe comes out the top, there are those two screws in the back that hold on that cap (for optional rear venting) ... if I need to bolt it, I might use those holes instead of drilling more in the band new stove back. Ideally I could fabricate something that stays seated with no bolts, kinda like the side plates do...they just hang there from a couple hooks.

If you don't mind me asking... how has that Zircar held up in your firebox, under heavy use?

hi Mike, I'm interested in that Zircar. Will PM you again when I know the size... right now I don't know how to attach it, but since my pipe comes out the top, there are those two screws in the back that hold on that cap (for optional rear venting) ... if I need to bolt it, I might use those holes instead of drilling more in the band new stove back. Ideally I could fabricate something that stays seated with no bolts, kinda like the side plates do...they just hang there from a couple hooks.

If you don't mind me asking... how has that Zircar held up in your firebox, under heavy use?
well, all looks good after the one half load fire that I've had so far ;)

I attached my rear heat shield with screw holes through drilled through the back to clear four 10-24 screws. One screw for each corner of the back plate. On the inside I double up a couple nuts before the steel to create a 1/4" air gap from the back. Then the plate slid over the 4 screws threads and a nut on each holds it in place. The difference is rear temp is very apparent with this modification. If you did it this way use stainless screws and use washers on both sides of the zircar.

This is the plate at the back of the stove.
Jotul_602_back-burnplate.jpg

thanks begreen--just what I needed to see. I was waaay off base, thinking I could use those existing screws--they are ABOVE the top baffle. Doh!

@nola mike I guess you put in those heat shields more recently than I thought :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.