Cut a little walnut today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
After work about 45 and sunny ,I cut just about six loads of this walnut the trees fell last winter.How surprised i was that there was no rot at all. I haven't cut much walnut because they never seem to fall,is it safe to assume walnut can stand the elements for some time before rotting this area is alon
walnut.jpg
walnut 2.jpg
g a river my property and totally shaded most of the time these were laying in a real wet spot.

Did the dust bother you? Sounds like walnut can be nasty to some. It has natural pesticides in it. I think it is so hard in the rings that rot would take a long time.

Did the dust bother you? Sounds like walnut can be nasty to some. It has natural pesticides in it. I think it is so hard in the rings that rot would take a long time.
I always wear a dust bee gone mask when cutting unless the wind is in my favor,I haven't cut a half cord of walnut in my life so I didn't know that. But had the mask on today.

I always wear a dust bee gone mask when cutting unless the wind is in my favor,I haven't cut a half cord of walnut in my life so I didn't know that. But had the mask on today.
I have no experience first hand either, and was surprised when I learnt of it. The guys I spoke with said they felt sick and were sick for a week or more. I also believe they mentioned that some are bothered simply by skin contact as well. May want to make sure your arms are covered up as well.

I cut a lot of walnut. It is very rot resistant, normally the sap wood will get a little punky but the heartwood is good. When standing dead with no bark it can be very dry when cut. I have found carpenter ants in it before.

I like it. It smells good when cutting and splitting. It dries quickly. Doesn't rot. Burns well and smells good when doing it. Only downside for me is lots of fluffy white fly ash.

I've never noticed any sickness from cutting it.

i just cut up a pretty good size tree, ended up with about .75 cord. Depending on the direction I was cutting it, i got a lot of dust. It cuts so much better than elm, and splits a lot better too!