Cut down tree and full of bee combs and HONEY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
Hello All, I cut down a ash tree with a hallow center. It was full of bee's honey combs. So I do I get the honey out of the combs. I have a lot, the nest was appox over 4ft in long and about 6-8 wide right in the center of the tree. The honey taste great and im trying anything to save it. thanks fespo

were the bee's at home when you fell the tree?

If you spin it in a salad spinner the honey will get extracted and the comb will be left inside the basket.

Mash it up real well in a large pot, heat it up on a very low heat and skim the wax off the top. A regular extractor is made to work on frames that fit vertically. I don't think you would have much luck with masses of comb.. The bees may have left in a swarm when a second queen was produced. Honey never spoils. Lucky find.

What a bee keeper has to extract honey will not work on wild cones. crush it in a colinder and let it drain through for a few days.

Great find!!! Don't worry about it keeping as that will keep a long time....if you don't eat it fast.

I think that within some of the combs you might find bee larvae, and you'll want to get them out. I've seen honey combs in a jar with honey for sale at markets for a good bit more that just honey. I think you can eat the fresh combs but I don't know for sure. That's a great find!

Status
Not open for further replies.