Cutting a recess above mantel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sykocus

Aug 28, 2021
Oregon
I have a masonry fireplace (concrete blocks). I’d like to cut a recess into the first layer of blocks to mount the tv. I know the attached picture is not a masonry fireplace but it’s the same idea.
Looking at the blueprints for the house it looks like there’s a gap between the outside wall and the flue. (It’s the upper fireplace). So I don’t think there’s a danger of piercing the flue.
I realize there’s concerns about TVs above fire places but for now I’m thinking about the structure of the fireplace and if this is a reasonable plan

2DFC8131-0377-4F91-8314-E61BF205973A.png E2B0C536-69A7-42D2-BA32-7A4D7127D1BD.jpeg

It's not likely possible. There is a code required thickness of brick surrounding the flue.

Plus one more thing to think about, how fast technology changes. I can't count how many house listings I see that have built in cabinets on the family room with an appropriate sized opening for a 32 inch square tv back when that was considered a pretty large screen 25 years ago.

I would be careful not to hamstring your self on size. We could all be watching 85 inch scrrens that cost half what a 50 inch does today in 20 years.