Cutting back a Privet hedge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGriz

Ok, I'm going to try out the new forum and ask for some help from all of you arborists and gardeners out there.

I have a row of privet (sp?) hedge about 50' - 60' long, which runs along part of my lot line. The hedge had gotten way out of control and was very 'leggy'. Last weekend, I cut it back to about 12" high.

My question is: did I cut back enough, or should I have taken it almost to the ground?

I want to give it a new start, so I can keep it managed and looking better over the next few years.

Hi -

It'll grow back excessively thick and stringy (to my taste) unless one cuts some of the roots to keep things in balance. I use an ordinary shovel, cutting just inside the width I'd like, and every other shovel width. So it ends up looking like a dotted/perforated line.

ATB,
Mike P

Thanks for the advice. I do want it to grow back thick and stringy so it looks like I'm on the right track.

You did fine, Now as they grow, don't let grow all the way up. After about a foot of new growth, just nip the top leaders to a uniform level. This will allow them to thicken up as they grow. do the same thing for every foot or so of growth. Privets are the fastest to grow.I grew -up and ran my family landscaping business for over 20 years. trust me you did fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.