Cutting fee

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
I burn wood and sell some on the side. A "friend" is wanting to charge me $50/load cord) for sawing it to workable pieces. (rounds) I sell 1/2 cord for a $100. I still have to bring them home, split them, deliver them etc...

I would consider paying not more than $20. Does that sound unreasonablwater

$50 dollars just to buck it sounds a little steep, unless he drops the trees too?

Yes he does drop them. He's getting paid by the land owner to drop the tree and dispose of it. Sounds like double dipping to me.

maybe 10 or 15 bucks for fuel - and he doesn't need to buck down if you can handle what ever sizes he brings. most of the time trees services have to buck it down just to get it out at this time of year as big equipment will destroy lawns. wonder if he has to pay at landfill for dumpping?

I burn wood and sell some on the side. A "friend" is wanting to charge me $50/load cord) for sawing it to workable pieces. (rounds) I sell 1/2 cord for a $100. I still have to bring them home, split them, deliver them etc...

I would consider paying not more than $20. Does that sound unreasonablwater
That would be one less "friend", in my book !!

Reactions: fespo
So let me see if I have this right. Your friend drops the trees, as you said. Then I am assuming he limbs them, cuts them into loadable lengths, loads them onto his conveyance, and takes them home. Then he unloads them and bucks them into rounds.

So you do not want to pay $50 for wood that is assembled in a convenient place to load and is already bucked? I have never paid for firewood in my life, but I think I would take that deal all day long, considering all the work I would be saving.

I would pay $50/load if the load was more than a cord.

maybe 10 or 15 bucks for fuel - and he doesn't need to buck down if you can handle what ever sizes he brings. most of the time trees services have to buck it down just to get it out at this time of year as big equipment will destroy lawns. wonder if he has to pay at landfill for dumpping?
Good point blades. I believe the landfill charges 10-20 $per truckload to dispose. They also sell for $10 load which is a no-brainer it's hit and miss, though. I think they mulch everything they receive.

Seems reasonable to me . . . but what do I know? I have a friend who found out I was in need of wood and he showed me where I could cut on his property. He had no stipulations, other than the fact that we walked the plot to mark which trees to cut and he asked that I scatter the limbs around to help in the natural breakdown vs. stacking them in one big pile. He never asked for any of the wood, but he has a camp on the property and burns a little wood of his own so I did a 50-50 split without him even asking.