Cutting Ice--what bar oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zare

Mar 2, 2014
SW onatrio
Just found this forum and it awesome.;)

Now i have a question for the experienced.;? Im starting to cut through ice up north for my water supply and the saw makes it quite easy and quick over an auger (plus i can cut a nice size hole to fit in pump).
But i don't want to use reg bar oil as it leaves residue in the lake and in my water being pulled up.
What would you recommend for bar oil that is vegetable based/environment friendly.
And this winter the ice is just under 18" thick...gives the 034 a good work out.

thinking out loud here, vegetable oil? do you really need oil with the water and cold on the bar? doubt it would get hot?

Reactions: JustWood
thinking out loud here, vegetable oil? do you really need oil with the water and cold on the bar? doubt it would get hot?
I thought of veg oil, but most thicken up at real cold temps, as the saw stays up north and is usually frozen when needed. What do you ice carvers use?

(edited, Ive got a tip on Canola Oil, will try this)
Cheers

Last edited:
I see you've already been tipped off . . . canola oil.

The ice carvers don't use any oil!

No oil, melting ice is the lube. I used to make/ remanufacture bars for a company that would slice big 100lbs blocks of ice down into small resale sizes. No oil of any type was used in this process. Same with the big ice saw rigs used on the lake(Michigan) many years ago ( in fact the last ice storage building from that era burned down couple years ago.

Last edited:
When cutting holes in the ice to conduct diving operations, we don't use oil - the water provides the lube and cooling effects :)

Status
Not open for further replies.